Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ArrayList of SqlParameters not appearing correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tshad

Programmer
Jul 15, 2004
US
I have a ArrayList of SqlParameters that I created but when I try to access it, it says:

At least one element in the source array could not be cast down to the destination array type.

The code is:

Code:
            ArrayList s = new ArrayList();
            s.Add(new SqlParameter("@CompanyID", SqlDbType.Int).Value = 1);
            s.Add(new SqlParameter("@ClientID", SqlDbType.Int).Value = 2);

I try to return an SqlParameter[] with a procedure:

Code:
        public static SqlParameter[] GetSqlParameterArray(ArrayList al)
        {
            return (SqlParameter[])al.ToArray(typeof(SqlParameter));
        }

I get the error on the return.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Tom

I simplified the test to get a better idea of the issue.

This works.

Code:
            s.Add(new SqlParameter("@CompanyID", SqlDbType.Int));
            s.Add(new SqlParameter("@ClientID", SqlDbType.Int));

parameters = (SqlParameter[])s.ToArray(typeof(SqlParameter));
            parameters[0].Value = 1;
            parameters[1].Value = 2;

We end up with s having 2 SqlParameter objects the ArrayList. I then convert to an SqlParameter[]. I then assign my values. I am trying to get away from this as it is easy to make a mistake if I have many parameters.

What I am trying to do is what I can do with an SqlParameterCollection (which is not possible in this way).

Code:
            s.Add(new SqlParameter("@CompanyID", SqlDbType.Int).Value = 1);

parameters = (SqlParameter[])s.ToArray(typeof(SqlParameter));

This gets the error because the ArrayList doesn't have 2 SqlParameters but two values of 1 and 2.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,

Tom

Code:
s.Add(new SqlParameter("@CompanyID", 1));
s.Add(new SqlParameter("@ClientID", 2));

You are adding the SqlParameter.Value properties to the array, (1 and 2)

Rhys

"Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal"
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe"
Albert Einstein

But the problem is that I want to be able to define type as well as the value.

instead of:

s.Add(new SqlParameter("@ClientID", SqlDbType.Int));
parameters[0].Value = 1;

This is fine but it gets a little more of a problem if there are 20 parameters.

Thanks,

Tom

If you want to define the type and value you're going to have to use one of the other constructors, or rather than an array list you could use a SqlParameter array in the first instance. Is there any particular reason you're using an ArrayList?

Rhys

"Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal"
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe"
Albert Einstein

I didn't use an SqlParameter array since you can't do it dynamically. I can accomplish that using an ArrayList of SqlParameters. I want to be able to create the SqlParameter and set the type and value at the same time. I could have done that with an SqlParameterCollection but that won't work as there is no constructor. I could also have used a generic list of SqlParameters (List<SqlParameters>) but there seemed to be issues that the ArrayList didn't have.

So I created a method that would do it for me. The method has different overloads for each SqlDbType, such as:

Code:
        public static SqlParameter SetParameter(string name, SqlDbType type, int size, string value)
        {
            SqlParameter parameter = new SqlParameter(name, type, size);
            parameter.Value = value;

return parameter;
        }

public static SqlParameter SetParameter(string name, SqlDbType type, int value)
        {
            SqlParameter parameter = new SqlParameter(name, type);
            parameter.Value = value;

return parameter;
        }

public static SqlParameter SetParameter(string name, SqlDbType type, double value)
        {
            SqlParameter parameter = new SqlParameter(name, type);
            parameter.Value = value;

return parameter;
        }

I can then create the parameters, similar to:

Code:
            ArrayList parameters = new ArrayList()
                {   
				    database.SetParameter("@CompanyID",SqlDbType.Int, companyID.Data), 
				    database.SetParameter("@FirstName",SqlDbType.VarChar,15, firstName.Data), 
				    database.SetParameter("@LastName",SqlDbType.VarChar,30, lastName.Data), 
				    database.SetParameter("@Title",SqlDbType.VarChar,50, title.Data), 
				    database.SetParameter("@Nickname",SqlDbType.VarChar,50, nickname.Data)
                }

The values are special types I created to carry the value of the variable as well as the initial value and whether it is null or not.

This works fine except I also want to be able to assign a null if necessary but can't get that to work. As you surmised in my other post, I can't use a conditional with a null and integer, such as:

Code:
database.SetParameter("@UserID", SqlDbType.Int, companyID.IsNull ? DBNull.Value : companyID.Data)

Thanks,

Tom

Actually, I have come up with a better way of doing this, using List<Sqlparameter> which I thought would be a problem. Apparently, this is not and issue.

So I have the following:

Code:
            List<SqlParameter> parms = new List<SqlParameter>();

parms.Add(database.SetParameter("@Friend",SqlDbType.Int,2));
            parms.Add(database.SetParameter("@Client",SqlDbType.VarChar,50,"Joes bar and grill"));

parms.Find(c => c.ParameterName == "@Client").Value = "This is a test";

parms.Find(c => c.ParameterName == "@Client").Value = null;

This allows me to assign values (but not nulls) when setting the parameter up. But using the Lamda expression, I can now assign the null (or another expression) with out using the "parms[1]" syntax which can cause errors if I make changes later and put a new parameter in the middle of the list (the indexes after the new parameter will increase by one).

I would still like to do the conditional expression when I set it up but can't figure a good way to do it.

Thanks,

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back