Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Array Tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockman20

IS-IT--Management
Feb 2, 2004
US
CR 8.5 running reports against SQL2000 databases through ODBC connections.

Reading through the Crystal user guide and The Complete Reference Manual for CR 8.5, I can find information on how to create an array table (why you would want to do this is beyond me!) but is there any way to pull information from that table once it is an array?

Our SIS (Student Information System) uses an array table on the attendance side of the program. Everything is in one huge table. You can run an aggragation that breaks that up into seperate tables, but then we lose the "real time" data since those tables are only updated when someone runs that aggragation.

Does anyone know of any information somewhere that I can read up on about creating a report from an array table or is this just not possible?

I think that you should start off by defining what you believe an array table to be, as it isn't a standard database nor programming term.

An array can be 2 dimensions, rows and columns, which is what most tables are.

Perhaps you have data stored as arrays within columns?

You'll generally get the best response from a technical forum by supplying:

Crystal version
Database/connectivity used
Example data
Expected output

Text descriptions can be useful once the above are known.

-k

Well, I put the version of Crystal, the database, the connectivity at the beginning of my post.

CR 8.5 pulling data from SQL2000 through ODBC.

Here is what we call an array. We have an attendance table that is titled something like 'AATP3006' In that table you have 14 columns and basically unlimited number of rows. Most of the columns have single data in them. Like "006" or "43875". However, there are 6 columns that contain a HUGE string of data. Such as

"20030908 K1 Q1 20030909 X1 X1 20030923 X1 X1 20031003 X1 X1X1X1X1X1X1X1 20031007 X1 1 X1 20031010 1 1 1 1 1 1 20031021 K1"

all in one cell in this table. In this huge botch of stuff, you can decipher out a date, a abscent code, and a period during the day that the code happened. I want to be able to take this jumble and split it into just that. I want everything to be seperate.

Let me elaborate a bit more on that "cell" of information. The 20030908 shows you that there was an attendance reason on September 8th of 2003. The "K" is our symbol to represent that it was a parent request and that is positioned in an all day field on our SIS (student information system) Then you go over to the "Q" which is our symbol for Dentist and due to the placement of where that "Q" is, you can see that it is somewhere around period 8 that this Dentist appointment was on. There should be 10 areas between the dates where a code could show up at and these are the seperate periods in each day. All of this information is for one child.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back