Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ARP Table question on XP Pro 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluealhunter

IS-IT--Management
May 10, 2004
US
I was looking for a way to determine the MAC address of several machines the other day and thought I'd just ping them and look in my workstation's arp table (arp -c) and have it. To my surprise all that was listed was my default gateway! Can anyone tell me why?

Thanks

Perhaps a silly question but, are you sure those work stations are on your local subnet?

e.g. Your address is 192.168.1.1/24 and all the work stations you're pinging are 192.168.1.x/24, where x is the station you're pinging.

Your arp cache will only contain devices on your local net.

If you are using a DHCP server with Windows 2000 or 2003 server you can get the mac address from the leases log.

You only got your default gateway because you did not have a connection open between your system and every other system on the network. You only had an open connection between your system and the gateway.

KJW

Thanks a bunch!

Indeed machines were on another subnet...

"Duh"wayne

Much, much, much better, get this must have tool.

You can do ping sweeps, but have to option to resolve mac addresses, host names and much more....and it's free!
We use it all the time.

Stu..

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back