Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arp Cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirlollypop

Technical User
Mar 27, 2002
GB
I am looking for a app that will be able to collect all of the ip address it can see on the network with their mac entries as well.

Currently I am using IPtools to do the ping sweep but it doesn’t list the macs as well.

Thanks

In just one network? After the ping sweep, try arp -a, or in a Cisco device, sh mac-add or sh arp...

Burt

arpwatch is what you are looking for. It captures ARP broadcast messages and logs them. You can have it configured to send email messages to you each time a new MAC/IP address is added.

Look at:

There appear to be a couple of Windows ports of arpwatch.

You need to be running libpcap (WinPCAP) in order to listen for the ARP broadcasts, so you will need Administrator privileges to start PCAP.

pansophic

Hell, you could span the ports on the main LAN switch ingress (LAN switchport) as input and output to a syslog or Wireshark, and set Wireshark to filter ARP traffic as one color, and ignore everything else, whatever. I have done that for STP, HTTP, SSH, etc.

/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back