Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ARP Broadcast Storms and STP woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffIT

IS-IT--Management
Apr 2, 2009
CA
Hi All,

For the past few months we've been experiencing "pauses" on our network. Everything will be fine, then everyone within a subnet pauses for about 5-60 seconds. There is no general slowness, just these pauses occurring several times a day.

My investigation has revealed ARP broadcast storms that correlate with these pauses.

Also, the switches are registering thousands of STP topology changes (dozens each day) that, again, correlate with the storms.

Our network core switch is a Nortel 8610. From there we have a mixture of ProCurve (39 of them) and older 3Com managed switches (6 of these).

I know that root priority is configured incorrectly. Everything is set to default and based on lowest MAC, our oldest, remotest switch is designated root. However, it was configured this way long before these problems started and to me it doesn't explain the topology changes.

This has been driving me crazy. Please help!

Thanks!!

Maybe someone plugging in a rogue device causing a switching loop? Is there a BDPU Guard feature in all of the switches?

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back