Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arithmetic overflow error converting expression to data type datetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

primagic

IS-IT--Management
Jul 24, 2008
GB
I am getting this error when I am trying to insert a new record to an sql table.

Code:
Arithmetic overflow error converting expression to data type datetime.

Any ideas on how to resolve this issue?

My code for inserting the record is:
Code:
Dim conOrders As SqlConnection
        Dim strInsert As String
        Dim cmdInsert As SqlCommand

conOrders = New SqlConnection("Server=(local);UID=sa;PWD=admin2010;database=PhoenixSQL")
        strInsert = "Insert dbo.Orders (TraderID, OrderNumber, InvoiceNumber, InvoiceDate, Carriage) Values (@TraderID, @OrderNumber, @InvoiceNumber, @InvoiceDate, @Carriage)"
        cmdInsert = New SqlCommand(strInsert, conOrders)
        cmdInsert.Parameters.AddWithValue("@TraderID", HiddenTraderID.Value)
        cmdInsert.Parameters.AddWithValue("@OrderNumber", txtOrderNumber.Text)
        cmdInsert.Parameters.AddWithValue("@InvoiceNumber", txtInvoiceNumber.Text)
        cmdInsert.Parameters.AddWithValue("@InvoiceDate", txtInvoiceDate.Text)
        cmdInsert.Parameters.AddWithValue("@Carriage", txtCarriage.Text)
        conOrders.Open()
        cmdInsert.ExecuteNonQuery()
        conOrders.Close()

Did you trace through the code? Obviously, the date entered is not a valid date or it to large/small for the datatime column. There are different types of datetime columns in SQL Server. Also, are you validating your input before you Insert? I would use a calendar control to let the user pick the date from that, this way you know it is valid.

and parse the date from the control to ensure it is a date.
Code:
DateTime date;
if(DateTime.TryParse(InvoiceDate.Text, out date) == false)
{
   throw new InvalidOperationException("invoice date is not valid");
}
this is the brute force method. for something more elegant I would create a DTO from the user control, validate the DTO and then then proceed with execution.

A validation library like FluentValidation or Castle.Components.Validation work very well.

Jason Meckley
Programmer

faq855-7190
faq732-7259

Thanks for your replies. I managed to sort it out by adding Language=British to the SQL Connection

You still better validate the data that is entered by the user. Eventually they will enter somehting that will crash your app.

along with that... never trust the client. you can validate on the client to reduce round trips, but you still need to validate on the server.

Jason Meckley
Programmer

faq855-7190
faq732-7259

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back