Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Argh - Remote Admin modem trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrPeteH

Technical User
Jan 21, 2004
US
Is there anything more frustrating?!

So we've had our Partner ACS 6.0 for several years. A low maintenance site -- we only do moves and changes once or twice a year.

I went to connect to the remote admin modem and for the first time had trouble. Modem connects but no password prompt and instead the dreaded failure message after 15+ seconds.

Having read through a ton of postings here, I've tried:
* Update remote admin s/w to latest (7.0.1.1)
* Restart system
* Manually back up system settings from x10
* Use inside line
* Force slow connect (Hint: in Windows ctrl panel modem settings you can put in extra data. S37=5 forces 1200, S37=4 forces 300 baud!)

NOTHING has helped. Any other ideas?

Barring that, two related questions: what's the cheapest and best way to get this fixed? A few factors:
* We're running an older R6.0 without the Daylight Saving Time fix
* As a starving non-profit, money is a factor
* I'm tech and phone qualified

Can I repair the modem card?
Replace with another 6.0?
Replace/upgrade with 7.0?

Your thoughts and pointers much appreciated.

Thanks much!
pEte

don't replace the modem card, try a different modem. Different manufacturer and if you have a really old and crappy modem that you wanted to throw out years ago but still have it in the drawer somewhere then use that one they usually work. I have a US robotics sportster 33.6 external modem and I have few problems but I rarely connect more then once a month to Partners, most things I just walk people through the button pushing.
The connection speed will be 14400 not more but maybe a little less so if your settings go under that then maybe try 9600 but slower won't work either.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

If you can't be good, be good at it!

The remote access feature on the Partner ACS R1->R6 is not very reliable. As Westi suggested, a US Robotics Sportster modem may give you better results.

The new daylight savings time schedule can be applied, but it might be easier to disable the automatic time change feature and simply teach someone onsite how to change the time manually.

Switching from an R6 to R7 requires a brand new processor as the R6 is a 3x8 configuration and the R7 is a 5x9. You cannot transfer any stored R6 configuration to an R7 processor.

If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet.

Thanks for the hints! I too have an old Sportster. Now I need to find a way to convert to USB; would you believe no serial ports on this laptop!

On the R6/DST update... did I read somewhere that the DST firmware also incorporates auto-time updating from incoming Caller ID info? That would be nice. Our system runs its time significantly faster than real time ;)

Avaya doesn't send upgrades out any more, to upgrade you have to purchase the software from a different provider and then you can download the firmware and put it onto the 8MB PCMCIA cards and upgrade it yourself will cost you about $ 400-600 is my guess for the software and a card.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

I know that the "J" patch for the R7 processor uses the time stamp sent with Caller ID to adjust the system's clock. I don't know if the latest software revision for the R6 processor offers that feature.

From here on out, only the R7 processor (and any newer releases if Avaya actually issues any) will see feature enhancements.

Yes the patch for the R6 will also follow the time stamp from the caller ID, hense a new trouble, getting wrong time stamps from LD calls and some PBX switches. wish they would just update the DST (daylight savings tiome)software!

Slight topic detour: I have my home Partner ACS R7 processor running with the "J" patch and the DST feature disabled. The very first incoming phone call resets the time for me so I can't see any reason to bump up to the "K" and I won't look at "O" until all of the bugs have been fixed.

If you have regular POTs lines and Caller ID, you really shouldn't have an issue with the system clock reading the wrong hour. Now if you are getting your service from a provider such as Packet8 or Vonage, that's another matter.

Dexman- I have a Partner R6.0.C and normal pots service with caller ID from Verizon, when I'm in the office and watch calls come in I see the time change according to where the call originated, and then switch back with a local incoming call, what drove me nuts was when I wasn't getting my voice mail notification to my cell because I had it set between the hours of 8a to 5p, and at times I get back and have a message waiting and then see the time was wrong.

As I understand Caller ID (and if I'm wrong a correction will be posted [bigsmile]), the timestamp is provided by the Central Office.

If that is true, and you can duplicate the situation using a single line telephone connected directly to the demarc, I'd ask Verizon to investigate.

I'm in the Boston area and have never seen this happen even when the person calling me is located in another time zone.

Actually, Avaya provides public access to a binary download of the firmware update. I downloaded it yesterday. Apparently the main challenge is finding the write burn software to get it into my update card.

Since every remote access card is also an update/backup card, seems that ought not be tooo hard.

But maybe I'm nissing something important.

No password prompt solution:

unplug module from Slot 1

That solved it for me.

I want to clarify the "bug" comment I posted back on August 20th.

When the R7 processor undergoes a power up, the configuration found on the internal memory is used regardless of the presence of an external backup & restore PCMCIA.

Installers, who made configuration changes and saved only to the PCMCIA card as opposed to the internal memory, would often find that their changes had vanished into thin air.

If your system has a B&R card, remember to save your configuration to BOTH the card and the internal memory.

At looong last, I got in. Tried modems in quite a few computers but no joy.

Dug around and found an old Sportster 14.4... found a computer with a serial port... found a big pile of old serial adapters... kludged it together.

Bingo. First time :)

who said that new stuff is always better, good finding, I still have my first modem in my basement, just in case.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

Dexman, Your right about the time stamp from the CO, my trouble was I have one ISDN line on my system along with the normal pots lines, it didn't have Caller ID programmed, but because it was ISDN and was looking to bond on data calls it did give the Tel #, but it always came in with the wrong time and date, had caller ID added to it and all is well.
And your right about VOIP very easy to spoof the Caller ID name and number if you want.
Sorry to go off the original question but the wrong time was part of an answer back on 8/20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back