Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arescom NetDSL 800 and Port Forwarding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chino320

Technical User
May 21, 2004
US
Does anyone know if the Arescom modem needs to be configured for port forwarding? Here's my problem:

I have a Linksys router plugged into the DSL Modem. All my desktops can browse the internet with no problem. I can play on-line games with my friends but only if they host the game (they don't have the router). Whenever I host a game, their system will not find my server.

I've configured the Linksys router to connect to a specific IP within my network whenever ranges of ports are requested. The port ranges are those specific for the games. However, it seems as if the modem may be the problem with forwarding ports. I've read some articles that the modem is configured with firewall and blocks many ports. Enabling this would require me to open the modem or telnet into it and reconfigure, but I don't have the password.

Is this the only method to fix this problem? Am I misinformed? If you have a similar set up and are familiar with this problem, please contact me. I would greatly appreciate anyone's response with this issue.

Can you host the game as a test without the linksys (bypass it as a test)?

If yes, problem is Linksys, or its configuration.

Still no, then contact your ISP, they should be able to help you or at least give you the login.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back