Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Are you using FREESERVE as your ISP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

G0AOZ

Technical User
Nov 6, 2002
GB
I'm having trouble getting through on the ordinary advertised numbers to this ISP - the lines are often busy. I'm using their Anytime service through an ISDN line. Freeserve suggested downloading their "Connection Kit" which has extra numbers which are hidden from view as they're dialed. However, these don't work either. These numbers apparently have special routing to take them via the Energis network into Freeserve's servers, but if dialed, you get the nice BT lady saying the number you've keyed in doesn't exist. The two extra numbers are:-

1470 1616420845079xxx and
1470 1616420845240xxx

The last three digits are hidden from view when dialing. I've discovered what they are, but I'll not reveal them...

Freeserve are reluctant to discuss these extra numbers, but did become slightly more helpful when I revealed that I'd discovered what they were!!! However, I'm no further forward with getting a regular connection yet.

Is anybody else using Freeserve, and with these numbers? Have you had any success? Is it dependent upon your local telephone exchange in the U.K. as to whether or not these extra numbers are of any use?

ROGER - G0AOZ.

the 1470 prefix is used to disable callers-number-withheld; freeserve want to know who's connecting.

161642 sounds like a routing code

0845 079 6699 is the regular connection number for freeserve pay as u go ("No Ties")
0845 240 2613 is a backup pay as u go connection for freeserve "Home Time" customers, for when the freephone connections are busy.

(Hey, we're busy, so although you pay a monthly fee to us, we're also going to force you to pay for your phone calls [blush])

Hope this helps!

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

Thanks for your response Manarth... Freeserve informed me that the 1470 code must preceed the &quot;Connection Kit&quot; extra numbers otherwise it won't connect, irrespective of the fact that I don't and never have had my caller i.d. withheld. Yes, Energis say the prefix looks similar to what they'd expect for call routing through their network, but since I'm not directly one of their customers, they won't give me any further info. The telephone numbers you quote are for the Freeserve &quot;No Ties&quot; service - I'm on the &quot;Anytime&quot; contract so there are different numbers to dial for access.

So, anyone else experiencing these problem...?

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Hmmmmm.... strange, i am on freeserve anytime.

I set it up on 2 PC`s... mine and my mums. My mums was working fine with out the 1470 then it stopped dialing properly.

Mine has always dialled fine without the 1470 and continues to do so. I couldnt work it out, so i tried the last option and ran the freeserve installation thingy, and it installed and worked. The only noticeable difference was the 1470 - but mine still dials the same number fine without it?

I know this really doesnt help your prob too much, but i just thought i would share my experience... in terms of connection, to me they`re great.

Dan

----------------------------------------
There are 2 types of computer, the prototype and the obsolete!!

Ok Dan, thanks for that...

On the machine that you HAVE installed the Connection Kit, have you noticed if it ever gets to dial those alternative &quot;hidden&quot; numbers? Depends at what time of day you try accessing Freeserve, but during the day and very late at night I get in ok, but only with the fully advertised numbers like 0808 991 6080 which is one of the default numbers. If these fail to connect, then the dialler starts trying the partially hidden numbers. But the BT network reports these as unrecognised numbers.

So, please let me know if you think you've ever connected with these partially hidden numbers???

ROGER - G0AOZ.

G0AOZ - try dialling the numbers (fairly slowly, using your phone) and see at what point BT responds &quot;number unrecognised&quot;.

Post back with how much of the number you are able to dial before BT gives up.

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

Ok Manarth. I can get as far as 1470 1616 and all is ok, but dial 1470 16164 and after 4 seconds I get the BT recorded announcement &quot;The number you have dialed has not been recognised.&quot;

So, I guess we're possibly saying that the Energis network cannot be accessed from a BT phone. Brilliant or what!

ROGER - G0AOZ.

errr... no i never see these hidden numbers?? is it a new thing or something

Dan

----------------------------------------
There are 2 types of computer, the prototype and the obsolete!!

the prefix 1616 SHOULD work from a BT network - it's simply the energis access code.

do your phone bills come from BT or a different telephone provider (e.g. onetel)?

If you have carrier preselection for another provider, you may need to prefix with the turn-off-preselection code (which varies from provider to provider.)

Plank, you'll only see this new dialler with the partially hidden numbers if you've downloaded Freeserve's &quot;Connection Kit&quot; to use with your modem or terminal adaptor. And then you'll only see those partial numbers if the &quot;ordinary&quot; ones fail to connect because they're busy. Personally, I'd not bother with it at the moment until they've ironed the bugs out it...

Manarth, I'm with BT. And no, I've got no switch codes for other networks. Freeserve assure me these numbers will work from my BT line. I've had another go at Energis, and although they will not divulge information as I'm not one of their customers, it seems to me that Freeserve should have got all the &quot;Anytime&quot; users' telephone numbers &quot;provisioned&quot; as they call it, before this new software has a hope in hell of working! In other words, if they ain't told Energis our numbers, then we can't access the Energis network.

That's as I see it, unless someone has any other explanation...

Good innit!

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Before I moved to Broadband, 0808 991 6001 was good enough for me. Have you tried this number? Also try putting that magic 1470 before it if it doesn't work.

Thankyou for your help
mdm708

Thanks for that mdm708. Yes, that was the number I was originally given, but these days it's often the number that's most frequently &quot;busy&quot;!! I've a couple of other numbers besides the useless &quot;Connection Kit&quot; numbers, but they too are often busy of an evening.

It's my theory that Freeserve has taken away some of the ports that were available to analogue and ISDN users, and given over the extra ports to Broadband customers. Hence the problem for those of us (like me) who cannot get Broadband...

I've sent an e-mail and posted letters to Freeserve about this connection problem, but they have not yet responded in a positive manner regarding non-connection to those &quot;hidden numbers&quot;.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

One other little snag. I use anytime and since installing the Connection Kit, https pages do not work except on the pc with the isdn card. Freeserve said &quot;they don't support networks&quot; and &quot;we haven't done anything to make the pages not work&quot;. I think they are wrong on the second.
Has anyone else seen this?
Fortunately we will have a wireless network soon, so the problem should go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back