Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Are you a FREESERVE user?

Status
Not open for further replies.

G0AOZ

Technical User
Nov 6, 2002
GB
I'm having trouble getting through on the ordinary advertsied numbers to this ISP - the lines are often busy. I'm using their Anytime service through an ISDN line. Freeserve suggested downloading their "Connection Kit" which has extra numbers which are hidden from view as they're dialed. However, these don't work either. These numbers apparently have special routing to take them via the Energis network into Freeserve's servers, but if dialed, you get the nice BT lady saying the number you've keyed in doesn't exist. The two extra numbers are:-

1470 1616420845079xxx and
1470 1616420845240xxx

The last three digits are hidden from view when dialing. I've discovered what they are, but I'll not reveal them...

Freeserve are reluctant to discuss these extra numbers, but did become slightly more helpful when I revealed that I'd discovered what they were!!! However, I'm no further forward with getting a regular connection yet.

Is anybody else using Freeserve, and with these numbers? Have you had any success? Is it dependent upon your local telephone exchange in the U.K. as to whether or not these extra numbers are of any use?

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Try 08089977001 this is my Anytime and have no problems.

You not a high user or evening only subscriber are you?

Tez

Women are like computers, you have to press a button to turn them on.

Thanks for that Tezzie, I'll give that number a go. No, I'm not a heavy user, but do predominantly use the internet in the evenings, but via an ISDN line. I use a Broadband connection during the day which is fine, but at the evening location can't get Broadband, and unlikely to in the forseeable future. At this olde worlde local exchange I think BT have only just chucked out the old clunk-clunk-clunk-clunk Strowger gear!

ROGER - G0AOZ.

What payment plan are you on? -
Anytime - your phone number should begin with 080* eg my number 0808 991 6001 (which works fine for me),

Hometime - 0844* beginning, where you pay nothing for calls in the evenings and local call rates any other time

No Ties - 0845* beginning, where you always pay local call rates

Not sure? Then how much do you pay Freeserve on your credit card bill?
Nothing = you're on No Ties
About £6.99 = Anytime
About £9.99, and I've been on Freeserve for over 3mths = Hometime.
About £9.99 under 3mths = sorry don't know
£13.99/£14.99 = Anytime
£27-£30 = no wonder it's not working! You're on broadband!

*these fancy Energis prefixes get in the way - take the 1470 161642 off the start.

mdm708

[Iffy computing. Stupid username.]

I'm on the Anytime tariff, so as you rightly say the numbers begin 080. I've now amassed 5 "regular" 080 numbers from various sources (not all given to me by Freeserve), but these can sometimes all be "busy" during the evening, which is why I'm questioning Freeserve's useless Connection Kit. This dialer Kit is supposed to offer 2 partially "hidden" golden numbers in the event of the "regular" numbers being "busy". I believe the theory behind these numbers is that most punters won't know what they are, so can't put them into their own dialers as a primary choice. However, the numbers are useless, as the BT network doesn't accept the Energis access code to enable users to take advantage of those circuits.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back