Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Are We All Shy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CobolNovice

Programmer
Jul 17, 2001
GB
Hello Everybody,

New members are joining this Forum almost every day (there are now 65 of us) and yet posts are rare. Are we all a bit shy?

Hell, maybe the rest of you don't have any problems, but I sure do. Perhaps we could introduce ourselves to break the ice.

I'm a 50 year old Englishman who last used Cobol professionally in 1979, it's changed a great deal (for the better) since then. The problems I have are mostly to do with the differences between then and now, especially the interface with Access and some of the protocols with Powerform. I'm sure that as I use PowerCobol more I'll find many new and frustrating problems to deal with.

Does anyone else find that the manuals are of limited help?

That's all from me, now let's hear from the rest of you.

:cool:
CobolNovice

Hello

You can download the Fujitsu Cobol manuals from their web site (All the manuals are in pdf format and you can find all that you need to resolve your problems.
These manuals are for version 6.1.
What is your Fujitsu Cobol version?

Let me know.
Gianni

Hello Cobolnovice

Why you are defining yourself as an Old Man?
Sorry, i'm joking.
Yes, i agree with you about the limited help in Fujitsu Cobol manuals.
All skills i have using Powercobol, come from a lot of waste time testing any type of approach to be able in using Powercobol in the better way, like how to connect or call MS Office product (see my little sample portion of code on how call WinWord).
For your information, there are a lot of extra infos not documented in the current manuals that Powercobol do.
It has not been so easy.
I invite you to download my little PowWord project from at the download section (new or miscellaneous).
Let me know.
Gianni

Ciao Gianni,

Thanks for the reply, I has already downloaded the manuals, they just do not cover the things that I need to know.

Is anyone using PowerCobol with Access? I've found out few thing that may be helpful, like how to deal with run-time errors that appear to have no cause. CobolNovice

Hello Cobolnovice

Yes, i'm using Powercobol with Ms Access and Sql, but in most cases i prefer its indexed native files. Thery are more speed, than the databases.
Do you need somethings about it?
Take a note about my email: softline2000@tin.it
We can exchange directly tips and tricks.

Let me know.

Gianni

Hi! everybody, CobolNovice is not so very old I'm 59. Just wanted to say that it's very hard getting my Cobol programmer friends interested in PowerCobol or any other PC based cobol. All are Mainfraim programmers and are not as we would call PC literate. Some are unemployed and connot find a job because of their age. But still I can't get the interested in PowerCobol. When I show them some of my projects, their eyes get big and they say WOW, but that's the last I hear from Them. I talked with the Jujitsu salesman to see if their is a user group in my part of the country, Nothing happining.
Like Tromba I spend a lot of time playing with the compiler. I also attended the Cobol Bootcamp in San Jose. It was good for a beginner but their now I need a lot more advance instructions. I also keep my Fujitsu cobol mainteance contract up but some help questions like WEB processing I was not able to get any good answers.

I agree that PowerCobol is a very good Cobol development system. Just needs more good documentation.

Fredx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back