Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Are two primary Exchage email addresses possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlc9

MIS
Aug 15, 2007
US
Running one Exchange server 2003, with our one and only recipient policy set up for mail of two different domains. Thus, our users are assigned addresses of employee@abc.com and employee@xyz.com.

I realize that users can only have one primary address assigned to their account, and when they send an email, it will come from that address. My question is what are my options for users to easily switch between sending from one or the other domain name? I do not think it's possible for TWO primary addresses, so is this even possible? If I have primary set up as one domain address, and then try and send an email by putting the other domain address in the FROM field of Outlook, it fails. Any help would be appreciated.

Hmm...
Not sure where I see this discussed ad nauseum, but I do see where you replied to a similar question in Nov 2007. Options of creating additional accounts and profiles are either none too appealing or do not seem to work.

In resarching third party software, while some promise to do the job, it also looks a little sketchy to be putting on a production Exchange server.

Currently, I am trying to create Exchange Contacts with the desired additional email/domain and trying to send FROM that, but not too successful.

You can't send from a contact because a contact isn't a mailbox.

The only way you can natively choose the FROM address is when multiple mailboxes are configured in Outlook. You can't have multiple accounts pointing to the same mailbox.

Either you split the addresses into separate mailboxes and use MAPI for one and POP3 or IMAP4 for the other in Outlook, or, if you have Outlook 2010, you can use MAPI for both. Either way, it means two different mailboxes for the user, with mail going to (potentially) both.

There are some 3rd party solutions available that provide some of your required functionality. I don't think they're free, and YMMV.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back