Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

are there such things as 1gb modems

Status
Not open for further replies.

cam3ron

Technical User
Jun 13, 2006
US
are there such things as 1gb modems? i mean affordable by the public anyway. im looking for a cable modem to connect me at 1bgps instead of 100mbps. my cable company offers 6mb download and i dont think i ever get that connectivity. would the 1gb modem increase that?

cam3ron,

No it would not work any different even if they had Gig cable modems - you are paying for 6mb download, your modem can do 100 mb if you are not getting 6mb download - it could be anything from your computer to many different factors accross the Internet.

Also remember you are getting megabits per second - you must divide by 8 to see how many megabytes (8 bits make a byte) you are getting.

You might want to go to and run a speed test to see what you are getting - they also have tweek tests to see if your setup is using the best settings.

They (DSL Reports) also have some very good forums on different ISPs, different hardware and general topics.

Just my thoughts!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

so i would have to have a 12.5 megabyte or higher download rate to need anything more than the standard 10/100 megabit per second base modem? since i would be dividing 100 by 8?

Unless I misread, your ISP is providing a 6 Megabits per second service, so max throughput is likely 6/8 750 kiloBytes per second.

The internal speed is unlikely to be a factor as 10/100/gig can all keep up with the external speed, although full duplex nay help some.

I would be looking at tweak test to be sure it was not a computer tuning issue.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Circuit speeds are measured in bits per second. In your case, your provider is sending you up to 6 megabits per second. The connection from your cable modem to your PC is running at 100 megabits per second. Unless your carrier miraculously figures out how to send traffic to you at rates greater than 100 Mbps, the modem you have now is just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back