Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Are there any semi NORMAL ADSL modems left?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny2Bad69

Programmer
Aug 29, 2007
Hi,
I recently changed my ISP, and they wanted me too purchase this ADSL modem with an internal router, wireless and connected too the PC via ethernet too boot. I don't like wireless data transfer as this is a hackers "wet dream", I also do not like the idea of routing being done via IP addresses allocated by the ISP. I want control over things in other words, especially seeing how I want to start too fiddle with FreeBSD which will do routing via NAT and firewalling as well which also means I want the modem too communicate with the PC via a USB port not by the network interface.

There is one improovement that they have added too these boxes and that is VOIP. I would like too know whether there are ANY ADSL modems on the market which connect too a PC via USB and have VOIP ports (nothing more).

Thanking you in advance,
Johnny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back