Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Are there any security options to db if users must have 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kat25

Technical User
Feb 26, 2003
US
Hi All,
The users of my database must be able to have permission to
insert and modify data. They must be able to add a new record and modify an existing record. My users will be able to do just about the same edits as I can. My question is why bother with security, if the users have to have this type of access to the data. I don't mean for that to sound non-caring, its just that I can't seem to understand how can I security the data in the tables.

Also a major concern is how to protect the design and code of all my objects (tables, forms, reports, queries, etc.).

Another concern: I wanted to know if there is a way that I can ensure that the user performs all adds/modifcations thru the form and not be able to access the tables directly.

Any and all help is most appreciated.

kat25

Hi,

If you use an MDE file, it stops users getting to the source code for forms and reports and other VBA code, while still letting them add, remove and modify data. You can switch off display of the database window and set the AllowBypassKey property to prevent it being shown which will stop 99% of users getting to the actual tables (they have to know how to do it).
All this is without bothering with actual Access security which can be a pain to administer.

Another alternative is to run your database through the Runtime version of Access supplied with Office developer.

John

If you are concerned about database security, there is a handy little app by Richard Rensel which can be found at which allows you to set up a password and login screen. All you have to do after that is change the startup properties to hide the tables and add buttons to the menu to allow you to access the forms.

Colin

Thanks John and Colin.
I will check out the utteraccess site.
I think the runtime version would solve the problem,
however, my company will not let us use the runtime
version.

Again, thanks for your help and time.
kat25

If I make my database a mde, do I do this before I split the database?
Will the front-end database be a mde and the back-end database be a mdb?

I have some excel spreadsheets that I link to each day, will the splitting of my database have any affect on the table links I do daily?

Thank you for your continued help.

If you use an MDE database in the front, any linked databases also have to be MDE files, so the backend data must be held in an MDE file unless it is held in a proper client/server database (don't worry, you can still change database table structures and query code in an MDE file).

John

Thet's interesting, I link .MDE front ends to .MDA back ends without a problem.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back