Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Are text files universal, i.e. create on Mac, read in Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Streeter33

Programmer
Jun 6, 2001
US
Hello all,

This may be a silly question, but I've never used a Mac. My laptop (Windows) is broken, and I need to do some work at home. I can borrow Mac laptop from someone. Can I type a text file, save it to a floppy, and then read it on a windows machine?

Thanks.

Why not? Just make sure that the floppy is formatted for the PC.

There are different text encodings between platforms but if you use an application like MS Word on the Mac, it will spit out a file that can be used in MS Word on Windows.

ASCII is ASCII but there are tricks.

Macs traditionally use CR to end a line
Unix traditionally uses LF to end a line
DOS traditionally uses CR LF to end a line

so avoid too much formatting til you get it back to the 'home' OS you are used to

And yes, best to fomat at your usuall computer and bring the formated disk to the mac I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

That's good news. Mostly, I didn't want to waste my time if it wasn't possible. Sounds like it can be done, so I'll give it a try.

Thank you for the tips and fast replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back