Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Are SQL 2005 backups backward compatible with 2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

warthog72

Programmer
Aug 13, 2003
US
Does anyone know if you can run a backup in SQL Server 2005 and install it in SQL Server 2000? I am hoping they are backward compatible otherwise I may have an issue.

Thanks in advance for your help.

So, best bet for getting a 2005 database setup in a 2000 server is going to using DTS? I read somewhere I could bring on-line a 2000 server and then use DTS to import/move the data to it? I'd love to know an easier way.

Yes, DTS or BCP will be your choices. Keep in mind that your code that you've written for SQL 2005 may not run on SQL 2000.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005) / MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

We upgraded from 2000 to 2005 and haven't changed any code between either version. We're rolling it back now - cost-based decision. I haven't played much with entire db moves inside DTS - I'm hoping its not a manual table-based process as there are hundreds of tables.

Never played with BCP (at least I don't recognize the acronym) before so I'll do some research on it.

Thanks again.

It's a command line tool for importing and exporting data. BCP stands for Bulk Copy Program.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005) / MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back