Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Are Lotus files really insecure? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

diogenes10

Technical User
Jan 22, 2003
US
I have just been confronted with the problem of Excel not saving or opening Lotus file types and am trying to find a resolution that works.

My question, Are Lotus spreadsheet files really a security risk or is this just another way for Microsoft to take a jab at its spreadsheet competitors?

There is no "security risk". It is just Microsoft's arrogance that they do not respect other software vendors file formats.

You can open these files with Lotus Symphony or Open Office (both free) if you do not have a Lotus 1-2-3 copy to do so.

Sue Sloan

I do have a Lotus copy, my issue is that I have to work back and forth between Excel and Lotus for some things and I am now unable to save Lotus file types from Excel.

I didnt have a FileOpenBlock key in my registry - I tried a registry change batch file I found to add those to the registry with a corrected setting, but that had no effect on the issue. The files I need to use are in multiple locations, with new ones being added, so that the registry exclusion technique for one location is not even worth trying.

I see SP3 is not uninstallable and I don't know if there are any policy changes I can ask my network administrator to make, so I guess I am just stuck with the situation.

Thanks for the response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back