Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

are DMS and Document system useful in real environment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Dec 22, 2004
AU
I am doubt what the DMS and library system for in the GW.
It seems that the normal user file folder can do what the library does.
If I ask users to use the GW documents, I think I need to train for them for a while. :<

Using GW's DMS would require some training for end users whether they are the author of or viewer of documents in a library. And DMS is a lot more versatile than the folder system is in the GW client.

FarOut
V-Peace-V

GW library ssytem is extremely powerful, if you have client that manges lots of written material and groups it around common tasks.

Well known example is found in many law firms use the product for "mail" communications and.....for assembling their cases and related documents.

With easily available add on's a library can consist of an entire criminal case (my most recent best example) with scanned in images of everything, all the emails, all the evidence reports all the case notes and all the photos and faxes relating to the crime scene with everybody on the prosecution's team interacting with it as allowed (some can add, others can view, and yet others can edit notes).

Very powerful set of goodies that dates back to the early days of something called "Word Perfect Office.

We use the Documents Library intensively. Our techs keep docs there that they may need to access while on the road. We keep training materials, phone lists, innumerable documents there! Because of the rights you can assign, it makes things a bit more restrained then just putting them on a network directory. Besides, when we are off site, we can get to the documents.

Yes, users MUST be trained in Doc Lib Management before you turn them loose. We had users who were putting programs in it so they can install them at home...Company policies should also be established.

**Quiquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back