Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserver problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perre

IS-IT--Management
Nov 28, 2001
BE
Hi,

I'm having some serious problems with our backup, the problem is that the procedure is during to long. We use ArcServeIT 6.6 for Novell netware with a Dell Powervault 120T with DDS-4 tapes, we use four of them daily...

In the activity log we can see the following message multiple times: 'Device Group [Changer] is Busy. Job will start shortly.' Sometimes the device is waiting for hours, sometimes in weekends even for days... Has anybody a clue when you get this message? What are the possible reasons that the device is waiting..?

Thanks in advance,

Perre

Hi Pierre,

You probably have all tape drives configure to be on the same group. And you scheduled multiple jobs on that group. If a backup job is still running the scheduled jobs will not kick off. Your best bet is to reconfigure your drives to be on separate groups and change your jobs to be backup onto different groups.

JCT

I have seen this problem and it has nothing to do with the group. I was told by Arcserve tech support to do a local DSRepair on both machines (assuming you are not backing up the host Arcserve server) and also a Vrepair on the remote server being backed up. This always happened to me on a remote backup. Rebooting the remote server seemed to fix the problem once or twice as well. Not a "good" solution technically, but it works.

I´m having problems to configure my arcserve. I tried to create a group, the group was created but when i tried to run a backup wizard there isn´t any destination available to run it. The system shows me the message "Cannot submmit the RUN NOW job due to unavailable group or backup device(s)". My Tape Drive is being recognized by Windows 2000. How can i allow the system to see the tape in the Destination option.

Thanks in advance

Juan

Make sure you have DISABLED the tape drive in Windows 2000 Device Manager. Yes, that's correct - Diable it. Arcserve 2000 will take care of talking to the tape drive without a windows driver. DON'T disable the SCSI controller driver and make sure you are on the latest SCSI driver. Try to get one from the manufacturer and not just one that Windows 2000 installed. The windows driver will be much older than a currently available version on the manufacturers web site.

John

hi,
when i am trying to configure my Dell dlt120 tape drive to windows 2000,the device is not detected.I conneceted the tapedrive to pci-scsci adapter.I don't know what is the reason.So,pls help me.......

What kind of adapter is it? If it is an Adaptec (which I strongly recommend) it should show you all the SCSI devices it detects when the computer/server is booted up. If it doesn't detect any devices then you have a hardware problem such as termination or a bad cable or a bad SCSI controller or a bad tape drive.

Make sure everything is connected and powered on and also make sure that no pins are bent on your SCSI cable or on the terminator.

John

Hi,
There is may be some issues. First - SCSI drivers for netware - If you use NWPA drivers you have delete SCSI2TP and NWTAPE modules. Second - ASPI driver for Arcseve - try to use CANWPABD instead NWASPI (in the support.ca.com you can find documents about this). Third - check if you tape firmware revision is supported with the Arcserve. The last thing - check if your tape is connected to the SCSI contollers on the same SCSI BUS with HD drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back