Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ArcserveIT 6.61 Database Initialize Fail 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PMLMIS

IS-IT--Management
Nov 14, 2002
SG
After going through CA-Arcserve website for the whole day, I am really glad to find this forum.

Was spenting the past 1 day trying out dbcheck, keybuild, dbdefrag ... then read on this forum that all these crap doesn't work. No wonder a search on 'dbdefrag' on CA-Arserve gave you nothing, but then there is the link which takes anout dbmgr, which I don't have, then there is a few mentioning of dbcheck, keybuild, dbdefrag .. why can't they just tell people this dbdefrag doesn't work and save the innocents from wasting their time.

Anyway, I must have screw up something because I finally decided on the Initialize option, only to get the following error message when I tried to initialize astpsdat.

"Failed to initialize database (astpsdat).
Please close other ARCserve applications and try again"

What other ARCserve 'applications' are they talking about, I just reboot the server and wasn't running anything other than Arcserve Server Admin, which is required to perform the initializing.

HELP !!

Are you sure the Tape, Database & Job Engines are not running?. Check the 'services' area of your server out and inparticular, those serverice that start with the letter 'A' (for Arcserve).

If you find any of the services running (they usually start automatically at boot) then stop them and retry your proceses.

Okay, follow your point, I stop all Arcserve services, namely Discovery Service, Job Engine, Message Engine, Tape Engine; except Database Engine. Then I try to initialize again, same error.

Stop RDS.exe in the Task manager and then open the server admin. highlight the database engine Tab and click on Init menu and Init. database.

Manager has to be closed during the process.

Or Login back to the machine and under the arcserve folder open Admin.exe ( Velocis Admin ).
server name : RDSNP
Username : admin
Password : secret

Highlight ASTPSDAT and click on the Init button on bottom of the window.

This will Init. the database.

Hope this helps.

DatabaseBaba

Did that. RDS.exe cannot terminate, "Access denied".
And .. cannot find Admin.exe.
Just to clarify, the database is ARCserveIT VLDB.

Also .. I noticed that RDS.exe will run in the background whenever I start the Database engine, which is required if I want to run the Initialize option from Server Admin.

Additional .. managed to kill rds.exe from Dos Prompt. But as mentioned, when I get to Server Admin, I need to start the Database Engine again, which basically restart rds.exe.

And, now my backup is failing with Error Msg "Error 4102 Unable to open database astpsdat : error code = -20". And checking Arcserve website, not surprise, there is no reference to error code -20.

Did that, nothing changed, same error.
I have decided to reinstall ArcServeIT.

REINSTALLED and now able to initialize the database.

PMLMIS:

I have the exact same issue and have resolved to reinstall. The only question I have for you is did you install over the top of the existing installation, or did you uninstall and reinstall?

Also, I have several other agents. Did those have to be reinstalled or uninstalled/reinstalled to get it to work?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back