Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ARCserve7.0 on Netware6.0 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rolman

Vendor
Jul 2, 2002
SG
Hi all, this is my 1st time posting my problem here. Hope can get help from all.

Curently I have 2 x Netware 6.0 Server and ARCserve7.0 is installed on one of the Server. I have all patches from ARCserve and Novell patched.

Here is the problem ; The ARCserve Server keep ABENDing in the middle of the night,when schdule backup job run. I have send Novell on this issue and from their reply,they stated that this is caused by ARCserve.
And from the ARCserve.Log, there are severals error/warning messages. Some of it stated that the ASDB or ASTAPE database being corrupted.

Once I unload the ARCserve from it, the server work fine. Till now I can't figure out where goes wrong.

Hope someone can help me in it.

Thanks and Regrds
Rolman

Hi Rolman,

Could you copy and past a few lines of the arcserve.log file, this might help give us a better idea of what might becausing the problem!

One thing though have you tried to repair the arcserve datatbase? Toby Heywood
Systems Support Analyst for
Debenhams PLC, England

Also, when was the last time you ran DSRepair and did a Timesync between your servers?

Also, when was the last time you ran DSRepair and did a Timesync between your servers?

Hi

those errors in Arcserve log may be the key to where to look. Also check your Tape drive manufacturer for a fix for things like that. HP had exactly the same issue on a couple of my servers with previous versions of Netware and they had an NLM patch that seem to fix my problems. But my issue was mostly a combination controler and tape and Netware was abending because of it. Make sure your SCSI settings in the controller BIOs is set for that specific drive, you may have to set the Transfer rate back in the controller bios to make it stable enough.

Anyways...not sure those may do anything for ya but check the Tape manufacture for known issues...

Vaughn

CNE 5.x Netware CNE 5.x

Rolman--one thing that could be causing the abend is a purge function. I am running a Netware 6 server (AS 7 host) with a secondary Netware 6 server (target). I also noticed a problem w/ my host server abending in the middle of the night. Checking the abend log, I noticed references to ArcServe. This went on for about 4 nights. The abend occurred consistently at 11:59 pm. I suspected a problem w/ either the purge or prune process, (since they were both set for 11:59 pm), so I set purge to occur at 10 pm and prune to occur at 1 am. Lo and behold, the abend occurred at 10 pm the following night. The next night I shut off "purge" and no abend occurred. I've yet to figure "why" purge is causing the abend. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Possibility: I noticed my merge time was set, to occur 24 hours/day. Maybe a conflict between merge and purge. I've changed the merge time to occur between 1 am and 2 am. and reactivated purge to occur at 4 am. I'll let you know what happens.

Here's how to set your purge time in AS7 for troubleshooting. Open AS Server Admin; Click on "config" (gear) icon; click on purge/prune tab; leave the "enable database purge" box checked, but change the time to a convenient time, where you can monitor the abend. If it abends at your set time, uncheck the "enable database purge" box and see what happens. Good luck!

The following seems to have fixed my ASDB.nlm abends:

In sys:system\bti.cfg increase the value for Cachesize, should be at least 20480. Needs a reboot to take effect. This should be about 20% of your installed memory

In Acserve manager/Arcserve server admin/Database engine decrease Merge throttle speed from 10 to 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back