Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve with large tape libraries. Any thoughts ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

tech187

MIS
Jul 28, 2000
US
I am currently running 23 tape drives ( most DLT 7000's) backing up about 70 servers. I use Arcserve 6.5/6.61/2000 and Backup Exec 7.3/8.0/8.5 I am looking into purchasing a large tape farm/library and hoping to consolidate down to one version of software. I have had better luck with Arcserve and hope to use it with the new system. Does anyone have any advice as to wether I should use Arcserve or should I scape the whole deal and go with a more enterprise style backup software like Legato? Thanks for any helpful info ! ! !

It will all depend upon your needs. If you are using one O.S and there is no need to do cross platform DB backups/Restore, I would say ARCSERVE is your #1 Choice. I use Arcserve extensively and have had have very good results. Just make sure that the company that you work is knowledgeable of the software. As all deployments it needs a good understanding of your problem. Remember that you need to focus on Restores rather than in backups.

I've also had good results with Arcserve and Hate legato!!!
Arcserve is much easier to work with and has never caused me any grief other than with the database. After migrating to Version 6.6.1 and the Large database option in SP1, I've had no prblems at all. Legato has problems with Library Units and continually looses track of tapes in the drives.
Its also much more cumbersum just adding clients to the backups. I backup approx. 125 "NT" servers and about 700gb of data using ArcserveIT and the Storage Tek 9710 Library Unit. Works good, and very fast. I also developed a Backup network (separate subnet) which has made backups run extremely faster with less intrusion to the operational network. I'm also using legato for another system. Don't like it at all... JCopeland (MIS)

I am using arcserve 6.61 on 350+ servers and the database is giving me lots of headaches. I am hesitant to use SP1 cuz I was told it will make the DB 4 times the size. does anybody know if this is factual?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back