Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ARCSERVE V9 - 1 SESSION SPANNING TAPES 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

supermom

Technical User
Dec 2, 2002
US
I have Arcserve v9 installed on W2K SP3. Once in a while I will have 1 session that wants to span to another tape and there is no tape available. I end up cancelling the job only to find that there is 50+ GB that did not get cataloged. I have tried to merge and at the end the job asks for the next tape of which there is none. How do I get that data off of that tape. It just makes me crazy that I can see there is data there but can't get to it. I used Arcserve 6.61 prior to this and never had this trouble. If I cancelled a job, Arcserve cataloged what it had backed up.

Supermom [evil]

An explanation of how the backup history gets into the Database is in order here.

The backup history is written to a temp file. At the end of the session the temp file is changed to a xxxx.cat file. This file is then written to tape at the end of the session.
At the end of the backup mergecat.exe is spawned and it will merge all the cat files into the Database.

In this case since the session was not finished the temp file was not changed to a cat file and written to tape. That is why the Merge keeps asking for the next sequence number tape.

Try this Registry setting. One thing I do not have ARCserve 9 installed and so the path given might not be ARCserveIT, but it will still be Base\Task
Open regidt32.exe
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE on Local Machine
Open it to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ComputerAssociates\ARCserveIT\Base\Task
Highlight Task and select Edit Add Key from the menue bar.
Key Name: Merge
Class: <leave blank>
Hightlight Merge and select Edit Add Value
Value Name: DonotUseCatalogMerge
Data Type: REG_DWORD
click OK
Data: 1 *// 1 = Enabled, 0 = Disabled

This changes the Merge to start at the begining of the session and read the data on tape all the while writting the backup history to the Database, instead of looking for the cat file. Just be sure to disable it after the Merge.

DavidMichel

Thanks for your suggestion. It worked great!

Supermom
[smile2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back