Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve v.11 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

brarnold

Technical User
Jul 9, 2004
Does Arcserve use the same ports all the time. I need to open the proper ports on our firewall to backup a server on our DMZ. Does anyone know which ports?

Thanks in advance!

I've been wondering the same thing. According to our security guy, it does not use the same port all the time. He also said he couldn't figure out a range that it might be using. I posted something similar to this question and never got a response.

If you happen to find out I'd love to know....

OK...I've been on hold for a hour with CA. I'll post what I find out.

If you are using the Client Agent to backup the remote server, the port number is configurable. The default value is 6050.

Italked to CA and they said 6050 also...but we have a Proprietary database program, so they said we would get open file errors on the live DB. If we install the open file client agent would that solve that issue?

Thanks!

The open file agent has no effect on what port is used. The information provided is correct - by default the NT Client agent will use 6050 for transfer of data - you can configure this in the NT Client Agent configuration.

If you want to configured the port for remotely managing ARCserve servers, up until v11.0 this was dynamic and could not be specified, I believe with 11.1 this is configurable using a portsconfig file ?

I understand, but will the open file agent stop the open file errors on the open DB. Use the backup client for the file transfer on 6050 and the open file agent to stop the errors????

Not sure I understand what open files on a proprietary db has to do with configuring TCP/UDP ports for communication ?

I guess I needed to start another question. CA said that each agent has it's own port it uses and the DB was not SQl or Sybase so they said we would get open file errors when we tried to backup the live DB. We were wondering if the open file agent would work on the live DB? We are going a head and are going to use 6050 for file transfer. Were trying to get a clean back up with that DB running.

HI,

Vschumpy, the server in question,seems to be within a DMZ, so in order to get to that server using the windows agent, port 6050 needs to be opened.

Brarnold, says, he is trying to backup a proprietary database. ARCserve would not be able to lock this "live" database to back it up and would throw up some open file errors.

If this proprietary DB has a service, integrated with it, try stopping this service and perform a backup.

Hope this helps..

Cheers
Speshalyst

So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

We had a similar problem with backing up our 'proprietary' DB. Since our backups take place during off hours I was able to write a script that stopped the services integrated with the DB and then another to restart the services after the backup has taken place. This was the easiest and most cost effective way for us to remedy the open file error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back