Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

arcserve tape engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

rancher

Technical User
Dec 28, 2001
US
Using Arcserve 2000, build 7. Not able to get tape engine to start. When starting Arcserve I get message, "Timeout while starting tape engine". From Services if I try to start it, I get message "Could not start the arcserve tape engine service on \\tnt5. Error 1067:The process terminated unexpectedly". I have had this happen on several occasions before and the only way I have found to recover is by reinstalling. From Control panel, tape devices does not have a driver loaded nor does Scsi adapters, as instructed by Arcserve. I am able to see the device from the nt server, but not from within arcserve.

1) Load the Driver for SCSI controller in Windows
2) Reboot the server
Are you using a single drive or Tape library?
If you are using Tape library, Need to run ARCserve device configuration

Thanx

Rancher,

I'm getting the same error from a fresh install on a W2000 server. I have cleaned up all the other problems that were found after the initial install (E6300 scsi port errors from old scsi drivers), but I am still getting the "Tape Engine Service stopped unexpectedly..." The service will launch and I have followed through the output to the screen and there are no errors that I can find.

I've got the server running AS sp3, the AS Tape Engine has exclusive control of the library (Dell PV 120T) and the server was able to use the library in it's previous incarnation (BEv7.3 and NT - now AS 2000 and W2000)

Have re-run registration to make sure key file is good, then have latest scsi drivers for the controller and library, have all SP's for AS installed, including the TLO. Originally had an Unknown Media Changer in the Device Manager after the W2000 install but the AS 2000 install didn't change anything. Tried to bring up the slots in the library and got error message above after about 15 seconds.

Updated library driver from Dell site to lastest for our model and got the ADIC FastStor DLT driver in the W2k Dev Mgr.. Still got the error when I tried to touch the tape library in the AS 2000 interface. Had another install on a different Dell server model, but same library in W2000 and it worked great. I'm already using the same AHA-2944UW from the server that worked and have W2000 updated as best possible (high availabilty server) from M$ web site.

Anyone have a workaround to get this balky software working ? Or is there a problem with some Dell devices/drivers and AS 2000 to which Dell or CA won't admit ?

Mate, if you read above you will see that you shouldn't have the NT drivers loaded for the device. The fact you said you downloaded the latest drivers tells me that your are loading them.

Just...... don't. Keep the SCSI adapter drivers though!!!!

guru

Guru,

If there is a problem with a device driver being loaded, then what do I do with W2000? As soon as it sees a device, the operating system will not let you run without a device driver. You can delete the drivers with Device Manager and even go into the c:\winnt\system32\dllcache and delete the drivers that were installed, and it will still show up after rebooting. Checked in TechNet and the KB, and they have no documentation on how to prevent a device driver from loading.

If I delete the device and re-install AS2000, and re-run the device configuration again, I still get the same error message that the tape engine service stopped unexpectedly. Reboot to clear the memory and the device reappears. (I loathe M$ for their well thought out features. I use RHLinux for work when I can.)

You would think that the device configuration setup option to grant exclusive access to the TL would be able to set up control and then install what ever device driver AS 2000 needs to run the TL. Re-installing W2000 is not an option because of the server's role (file server, 99.99% uptime expected). Besides, based on what I've seen in W2000, it would not overwrite what ever device information the previous install has unless I burned it down completely and then installed again. That is about a 6 hour process with the size of the array on the server.

Any ideas since CA appears to be fresh out ?

Simply disable the device within win2k.

ARCserve does not use drivers at all, what it does is it speaks straight to the firmware utilising the vendors specified SCSI inquiry string. There are no drivers used at any time. Therefore exclusive access as mtnioned above cannot be given.

Blowing away your server is not recommended :)

Then if you get the same error we can rule that possibility out, and continue with the troubleshooting...

guru

guru,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try and see if I can get the server rebooted tonight.

d.

guru,

I'm just going over the last tape log to see if anything looks wrong. The Medium Changer is disabled now and I re-ran the Device Configuration for the library, first making AS the exclusive user and then doing the TLO option. restarted the engines and watched the tape log. One thing that is annoying is that AS doesn't like MTF'd tapes: illegal length. That's just the different block size the mtf uses.

Nothing in the tape log shows why the tape engine service is dying all the time. The last entry shows <TEST UNIT READY>, Sense Data as follows... with the usual hex code and time stamp.

So, what's next ? I'm fresh out of ideas and CA hasn't responded to the last issue update that included a copy of the tape log. They are likely as lost as I am for what to do next. It's bloody hard to figure out what's going on without any error messages. If I can't get this going without having to use some serious diagnostic software to see what the processes and services, I think I'll have to rework how the servers are arranged and how they are backed up in that rack.

Hang on, what do you mean that you gave it exclusive user rights (as in arcserve), does this mean your using some other third party software to access the library? Even if it is software that came with the library, you shouldn't run it, or should disable any services associated with it. Nothing can touch the library except for arcserve.

Failing this, could you hand over the firmware of your dell powervault 120T,

and what model type, with what drives are in it.

thanks

guru

guru,

The Dell PowerVault 120T is already running the latest firmware version 1.16, with a DLT 7000 drive, and we have been using Quantum 40/80GB tapes.

Like I said, it worked on a Dell 2450 before, but backing up a 100GB array over a switch is not the best way to go, hence the need to get it to work on the file server.

D.

Guru,

Guess you're stumped too. Looks like it's time to put forth a business case for a new server that we can migrate all the file shares to and then run the libraries off it.

I really think there is something in the chipset on the board that doesn't like the commands coming out of ARCserve. I don't see how else it could be crashing the tape engine and not generating any error messages.

Thanks for the help.

D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back