Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve restore through nwagent very slow 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pauldune

IS-IT--Management
Feb 22, 2001
NL
I have a nt4 server and a novell 5.1 server. In the nt4 server there is an exabyte 20/40GB tapestreamer.I'm backing up the Novell server through the NWAGENT.For this i'm using a separate ethernetcard only for backup/restore in both servers connected with a 100MB 3com switch(3300)
Protocol=tcp/ip
Backup speeds are about 200MB/min.The problem is that the restore speeds are only about 6MB/min.I tried all the solves from arcserve (increasing buffers of all kind and some ip related thing)
But... nothing helps....
so: HELP!!!!
If you think of anything that might help, please reply...

greetings

Paul

Sorry, the arcserve version is NT 6.61, with all service packs applied.

Pauldune

We have the same problem here!
Did you received any solution for this?

I am having the same problem, only through a Windows 98 Arcserve machine, and a Novell 4.11 Server being backed up. And man is it slow. I think I may be on the right track here with this problem similiar to yours. If you find an answer, please let me know.

Hi,

I have experienced this problem before. Are you guys trying to restore to the server as an already defined client? If so have you specified it as using it's IP address? I found that I got really slow restores (5/6MB/s) using it this way. If you browse to the server and then specify it to use the client agent but do it using it's ipx address. I found that this cured the problem (got around 200MB/s depending on server).

Regards,

Andrew

Im having the same problem here, Win2k box with arcserve 2000, Netware 5.0 box with netware agent. We dont have the option of switching to IPX for restores. We have tried everything we can think of, including not using the agent; it restored a lot faster than the 6Mb/sec we were getting, but it truncated all the files and dirs
ARCSERVEGURU help us!!

Have you checked the TCP/IP - default routes set? IP forwarding in NT turned off etc

Finally something from CA, only took them a year and the first fix is BS since obviously it is Arcserve's problem. Hoe many other application do you have to shut off ACK handling, CA fix the darn thing on your end!!!.

Title: Slow Restores Using TCP/IP and NWAGENT
Product: ARCserve
Version: 7.0
Document Number: 18089
Last Updated: April 8, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem:

When restoring a NetWare 5.x box using TCP/IP the throughput was 8MB/min. If IPX was used the throughput was 80 MB/min.

Resolution:

Here are the steps required to get better restore performance using IP when restoring from ARCserve for NetWare or ARCserve for NT to a remote NetWare server using the NetWare push agent client. The first two steps are essential in this procedure.

Turn off Novell's Nagle Algorithm. This is done by following these steps.

Load Monitor !H at the system console on the server.
Go into Server Parameters.
Go into Communication.
Look for TCP Nagle Algorithm and turn it off.
*Note: This turns off acknowledgement packets in the tcp protocol. With this turned off, the protocol will not wait for an acknowledgement of packets being sent. Thus streamlining the direction of the packets. This needs to be put back on after the restore has been completed.
On the NetWare client Agent side, increase the buffers that the agent uses. To increase the buffers, follow the steps below.

On the NetWare server console, go to the NetWare Client Agent menu and select Configuration.
For the Transmission Threshold (KB) and Number of 64 KB buffers, set these to 64.
Press <F2> key to save this configuration.
Edit the asconfig.ini in the nwagent directory and add the cmp_max_req=32 at the end of the NWAgent load line, e.g. CSNLM2=SYS:\NWAGENT\NLM\NWAGENT ARP cmp_max_req=32
Save the file and then restart the NetWare Agent.
This step is to configure the NetWare Server to get the best backup and restore throughput.
WARINING : These settings should only be changed if the NetWare server has sufficient memory and the current settings are smaller.

SET Minimum Packet Receive Buffers = 3 times the number of Netware licenses

SET Reserved Buffers Below 16 Meg = 300

SET Maximum Concurrent Disk Cache Writes = 1000

SET Dirty Disk Cache Delay Time = 0.5

SET Maximum Concurrent Directory Cache Writes = 300

SET Volume Low Warning Reset Threshold = 2048

SET Volume Low Warning Threshold = 2048

SET Days Untouched Before Compression = 30

SET Maximum Service Processes = 1000

SET New Service Process Wait Time = 0.3

SET Maximum Packet Receive Buffers = 4000

SET Maximum Directory Cache Buffers = 4000

SET Directory Cache Allocation Wait Time = 0.5

SET Minimum Directory Cache Buffers = 2000

SET Dirty Directory Cache Delay Time = 0.5 seconds

SET Directory Cache Allocation Wait Time = 0.5 seconds

SET Directory Cache Buffer Non Referenced Delay = 5 minutes

SET maximum number of internal directory handles = 900

SET maximum number of directory handles = 700

Edit the AUTOEXEC.NCF and add the following line on each server where SMS communication occurs:

LOAD SPXCONFG a=540 v=110 w=1500 r=50 q=1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back