Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve restore of Exchange 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

deanderson

Technical User
Jan 24, 2002
GB
I have gone through the process of disaster recovering a Windows 2000 server with Exchange 2000 using Arcserve 2000. I am now at the point of restoring Exchange 2000 which was backed up using Arcserve Backup Agent for Exchange 2000. However, I cannot find any documentation on how to carry out this procedure - I would of thought it is slightly different to Exchange 5.5 due to things in Exchange 2000 such as Storage Groups etc.
If anyone can point me in the right direction as to finding some instructions I would be extremeley grateful.
Regards
Deanderson

It's pretty straight forward. Firstly make sure the machine has been rebuilt to the letter as per the original server. Then boot up in active directory recovery mode and restore the registry, then proceed to reboot, install exchange, turn off the services and restore the IS and PD. Start the services and voila.

If your replicating active directory from elsewhere then recovery of the system state will not be necessary, a simple registry restore will suffice.

I haven't found in extensive information on an exchange 2000 restore, sorry.

guru

Thanks arcserveguru. The scenario is as follows: I backed up a Windows 2000 AD server with Exchange 2000 using Arcserves Disaster Recovery and Backup Agent for Exchange 2000. I disaster recovered the Windows 2000 server with no problems. The problems start occurring when I try to restore the Exchange 2000 server. WIth all the Exchange 2000 services started but the mailbox & public stores under the First Storage Group unmounted, I performed a restore of the First Storage Group using Arcserve (the restore would fail if the services were stopped). Arcserve says that the restore was successful. I then started the Exchange System Manager and tried to mount the mailbox and public stores - getting the following error message: - "An internal processing error has occured. Try restarting the Exchange System Manager or the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service, or both. ID No: C1041724. Exchange System Manager)". Event Viewer does not record any errors. Restarting the system manager or the service does not cure the problem. I have checked Microsoft Technet for the error and it does give me some information regarding log files but I cannot quite understand what it is suggesting. Am I following the correct procedure or is there something I am missing?. By the way, what do you mean when you say restore the PD?

Dear Deanderson,

I am having the same problem as you mentioned in this letter and it is driving me mad. I wonder if you have found a solution yet. You help in this regard will be highly appreciated.

thanks.

Rahul.

Hi,

We have the same problem when restoring exchange. The restore operation is successfull, but the stores cannot be mounted (error ID No: C1041724).

I think this is what happens:
The logfiles are committed to the database before full or copy backup of the exchange database. (default c:\program files\exchsrvr\mdbdata). After the backup there are only a few files left.

If the c:\ backup is created before the exchange backup the original logfiles are stored on tape. When you restore the wrong logfiles are placed in c:\program files\exchsrvr\mdbdata.

I have deleted (better moved) these logfiles. The directory has to be empty. After that the files in the c:\temp\first storage group (default location) directory have to be applied to the resored database. Use eseutil from the exchsrvr\bin directory (eseutil /cc "c:\temp\first storage group")

After this you can mount the stores again.

Hope this provides some help.

Pim van den Hoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back