Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve "Backup Operation Cancelled"

Status
Not open for further replies.

nat3tenp

Vendor
Mar 12, 2001
US
I am using Arcserve 6.0 and with SP3. I do a daily full backup but does not seem to work. It would always say "Backup operation cancelled" after a certain server. Usually once a week it would get past that server but it would still cancel. I followed the manually correctly. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Windows NT 4.0
Adaptec 2940 U2
Quantum DLT 8000

Nathan

Any other errors, and dlt8000's are not supported on 6.0

The other errors are:

E6096 Media Error [ABSL:2060 CMD: Ah]
E3714 Unable to write to tape. (TAPE=tape_name, EC=UNRECOVERABLE DATA ERROR)

So would I have to upgrade to a newer version of Arcserve?

Nathan

I have upgraded to Arcserve 2000 and I still get the same error.

I am working with this same issue now. I have a feeling that it's a setting on the SCSI card that is tripping out ArcServe. I'm actually working with it today and I'll post the results and the fix when I finish testing.

Hang in there...

Dear guys,

Glad I'm not the onlyone experiencing this error! We have a Compaq server using a compaq DLT 40/80Gb drive with ArcServe 2000 Version 7 Build 1100. All has been great until recently receiving this error. Tape drive will format, restore, but not backup up at all. You mentioned in the latest thread that you were working on a solution - what was the final outcome of this?

Leena1,

If all had been work great until recently, I would want to know if you made any other changes (updates, service packs, etc.)

We haven't changed anything at all on the server, that's why I'm confused! No SP's for Windows or ArcServe since before Xmas, no hardware/software changes/updates. The event viewer reports no errors either on anything.

If you all are in fact getting the same errors:
E6096 Media Error [ABSL:2060 CMD: Ah]
E3714 Unable to write to tape. (TAPE=tape_name, EC=UNRECOVERABLE DATA ERROR)

Then take note this is a "Media Error" and that the tape drive itself it reporting "Unable to write to tape" because it is experiencing an "UNRECOVERABLE DATA ERROR".

So it comes down to a problem with the tapes, or the drive. At the drive end it could be a hardware level problem, dirty heads, or an environmental problem.

Nothing wrong with the media - tried it in another tape drive and works fine. The error in the activity log is:
***TapeAlert*** The following is for Device[1]:
W6910 The tape drive has a problem with the host interface
and in the Job Log window there is an entry reading :
E3714 Unable to write to media (EC=COMMAND ABORTED)

Hi there

We have 22 of the DLT devices, and various DDS3 and DDS4 devices. We have found that going to BABv7 SP5 and device service pack helps.

Then you need to make sure that the tape device in contol panel shows drivers not installed, (if not NT4= delete drivers and reboot, on Win2000 = need to Uninstall device from device manager)

This is because Arcserve uses a SCSI pass through method to control the Tape device and does not use Windows at all to control the tapes device. If windows drivers are installed they can interupt the comand set going to device.

try this see if it helps

Well - updated to SP5, no difference. Unistalled the tape drive, rebooted, reinstalled the tape drive, use the ArcServe RSM mnager (Device Config)to manage the tape drive, and all seems okay - I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back