Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve not working through a Cisco router

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2005
US
We have a setup where we need to back up some servers and need to go through the router to do so. It's a Cisco ASA 5510 and I believe they are using Arcserve 11.5. I can see the server Arcserve is running on connect to the router and make the inbound tunnel and outbound and I can also ping the Arcserve server. What I think is happening is that Arcserve is sent to the external IP and when it is NATed at the router, that external IP that the software wants doesn't exist inside the firewall and the software doens't know to go to the NATed IP address of the server.
Is this somthing that needs an adjustment on the software or on the router to make work and what would that adjustment or setting change be?

Thank you in advance for the help!

Depending on what you want to do depends on what ports you will need open.

You talk about ARCserve not being able to go to the NAT'd address, why should it? You give the software the IP address you want it to get to, and somewhere along the line there is a breakdown in the translation, I can't see how this is anything to do with the configuration of ARCserve.

Thank you vschumpy for your response.

The reason I asked in this forum is because I'm not familiar with the Arcserve software and want to know if there is a setting in Arcserve that allows the packet to be NATed through the firewall.
As an instructor I’m sure you’re aware of the saying “The only stupid question is the one not asked.”
I’ll pose my question in the Cisco forum and see if I can’t get more assistance there.

Again, thank you for your valued response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back