Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ARCSERVE log file too large?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mleggatt

Technical User
Jan 31, 2003
GB
While trying to resolve an issue with a tape drive a fellow techie commented that having a 10Mb Arcserve log file(DRIVE\ComputerAssociates\ARCserve\LOG\ARCSERVE.LOG) was not a good idea as it slowed the software down and meant browsing the logs was slow. I have not noticed any performance issues. I would be interested to know if anyone backs up this file and clears the live one down every so often? I would also be interested if anyone know of routine housekeeping that can be carried out in ARCSERVE 2000 that will keep it running smoothly. It seems once it is working it is best to leave it alone?

Any hints ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi
Arcserve.log is the log file and it can be cleared if you don't need it for troubleshooting purpose.

You can clear it by going to
-Manager-->Job status
-Job Status-->delete and selecr Entire log

To make Arserve runs smothly without any problem you need to run database Maintencance utilites you can find then in support.cai.com
in Arcserve page under Documenat Index

In ARCserve 2000 you can even schedule the pruning of this activity log. Go to 'view-preferences' in the job status manager and set the pruning of the activity log if you wish.

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back