Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ARCserve configuration changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ankle

IS-IT--Management
Mar 5, 2002
US
I am making changes to my ARCserve configuration and I need some guidance.

Currently I am running 11.5 SP3 on one standalone server with a DAT72 autoloader attached via SCSI. I was planning on installing 12.0 on a different server with a LTO Ultrium tape device and removing ARCserve from the old server once I had moved database. Since my current database is in VLDB format, I found out that I would also need to upgrade to 12.0 on the old server so that I can upgrade the database to SQL Express 2005 format before moving the database. Then I could uninstall ARCserve on the "old" server. Since I may need DAT compatibility for archives, I was also planning on installing SCSI card in the "new" server and connecting the DAT72 device.

But I also thought perhaps it might be better to purchase another license for ARCserve and leave the DAT72 device and that database on the "old" server and start with a clean SQL database on the "new" server.

Additional questions:

- If I have two different databases will I have to reconfigure my backup jobs or if I save my jobs as files, can they be added onto the new system? I realize I will have to change the tape Group destination.

- I have never had a Primary and Member ARCserve server. Is this the way to go or is it easier to just have two standalone servers? From what I read, it looks as if I must have additional agents installed. I only have Windows Agents installed now.

You may think that once I have current files backed up that I don't need archives, but I have had people not realize that they have deleted something until perhaps 1 year after the deletion so I need to be able to read DAT tapes.

Any thoughts would be appricated.

I'm not up on licensing but I would think that once you have the 12.0 license you can run that and leave the 11.5 server.

you can save the jobs, job status window, select the job, modify, save as. then on the new system job status window, file, open. but it might be best to just start fresh.

ARCserve SAN is for sharing SAN attached or iSCSI libraries, does not apply here.

So you are saying leave my 11.5 server install in place with its VLDB database and on the r12 server have a new database. I can try copying over the jobs, but might be better to start new.

I thought you wanted to keep the 11.5 server around just to do restores of old data. If that is the case then there is no reason to change the database. Unless you do frequent restores there is no need to even leave it running all the time.

Yes, that is what I want to do and tried this weekend, but I have some issues that I will probably have to post as another question if I cannot get it resolved. But this can considered completed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back