Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve Backups very slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

jelley

Technical User
Nov 20, 2002
GB
I am doing a local backup on a windows 2000 sp2 compaq server, the backup is taking over 12hours to complete when it should be taking only 4hours. I have tried to replace the drive and scsi cable and have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software. I am using Arcserve 2000 sp4 and have also downloaded the device service pack. I have tried increasing the buffer size to 100mb using the sharemem.exe utility, when i did this is took 4hrs to run for one day and then went back to 12 hours.

I have been told that the problem may be with the firmware but have checked the firmware version and it is 2E2E. I have tried to contact CA but have not had any luck yet.

Please Help

Michael.

By saying I have tried to contact Ca, i meant that I have contacted them but they have not been able to help as of yet, i guess i should make myself a bit clearer next time.

Also this is on a local backup.

Thanks for your help and hope to hear from you soon

Michael.

You have mentioned it should take only 4 hours...

When did this happen ?/ Befoire spplying SP4??

Try applying the lates DEvice patch from CA..

cheers
Speshalyst So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

You have mentioned it should take only 4 hours...

When did this happen ?/ Before applying SP4??

Try applying the lates DEvice patch from CA..

cheers
Speshalyst So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

It should take 4hours and has done after downloading SP4, I have also downloaded the device patch and that hasn't helped fix the situation.

Do you have any other suggestions.

Thanks

If it is a local backup , try doing this -

use the windows 2000 backup , check out how much time it takes and then compare it with the perfomance of arcserve 2000 by that way we can find out on who is at fault.

STORAGEBOY

Are there are lot of open files? Is there anti-virus software running on the server?

There are a few open files but not a great amount. There is anti virus software running, this is SOPHOS. I have tried stopping the AV services and this has not seemed to make a difference. In fact I have looked at the job and the situation has got worse, the backup is now taking over 30hrs. Please HELP

I am experiencing what I would consider slower than
expected backups after I upgraded from a DLT to an SDLT
drive. I have a Dell 128T autoloader connected to Dell
PowerEdge 2500 via Adaptec 39160 SCSI card.
Throughput is < 350MB/min for backups of about 130GB.
This throughput is the same I received on the previous DLT.
Should I be expecting better performance? I believed the
bottleneck to be the tape drive and that moving to an SDLT
would increase my throughput > 900MB/min.
What are others seeing for performance with SDLT's and
arcserve?

-Mark

Jelley,

What has changed in your environment since the last time it took only 4 hours? Are backingup the same amount of data? What was your throughput then and now?

I have found that when i run a job during the day, when users are on the network the job can take as little as four hours then when i run the job through the evening, the backup is taking 11 hours.

I really don't understand why this is.

Bit of a shot in the dark here but have you chekced the SCSI Adapter drivers (see link). Worked like a charm for us, with MSL5000 series libraries

Link references the following error found in the system event log:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: adpu160m
Event Category: None
Event ID: 9 - referenced verbatim in the article
Date: 27/11/2002
Time: 17:38:16
User: N/A
Computer: BP1SUNIS007
Description:
The device, \Device\Scsi\adpu160m4, did not respond within the timeout period.

Jelley,
did you ever find out why it took so much time for the evening backups while during the day they where right? I have the same problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back