Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve backup deactiving drive on Novell Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

marig

IS-IT--Management
Sep 16, 2002
US
The past two nights, during the backup process [and then again today when I was trying it during the day] a drive on my Novell Server deactivates.

Novell 4.11, Arcserve 6.1 [running on a different Novell server than the one that has the deactivating drives]

Anyone had this before? I'm trying to get away from Novell so don't tell me to upgrade Arcserve...it's not a wise use of $$ at this point.

Hi,
Your problem description is not clear. Can you explain a bit more on exactly what's happening during the backup? Which drive gets deactivated and how do you say that?

You had mentioned that the problem has occured since thew past 2 days. Have you made any changes to the server before this problem started?

Thanx
ArcserveFreek "Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success."

It turned out to be a bad hard drive. The backup was hitting the bad spot on the disk and crashing. I would get the "scsihd: retry event" on the server that was crashing.

The bad spot must not have been accessed during the day, during normal operations, just at night during the backup.

Hi,
Then it is a specific hardware (Hard disk) issue I suppose. There is no problem from Arcserve point of view.
I don't see a option other than changing your hard drive.

Thanx
ArcserveFreek "Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back