Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve and SQL backups? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssoulages

Programmer
Aug 1, 2002
US
Even though I have requested to do differential backups, SQL backups are still full (using the SQL agent). Is this by design, or am I missing something?

Also, Arcserve tech support tells me that in order to guarantee a good full backup, I should make sure the entire machine (tree) is selected for each agent and that the little green box is solid. Then they tell me that I have to back up databases using the network, and that I can't use the agent. Since filters won't filter out databases (to my knowledge) and deselecting an object in the tree turns the list below it to a static list (from dynamic) it seems like they designed a catch 22. What is correct/necessary?

Thanks in advance!

In the backup window, drill down to the database name that you want to backup. Right click that DB and select Backup Agent Option. You can select differential SQL DB backups there.

I have been told 2 different things doing DB backups, over the network and through the client agent. I have tested both and can see no difference in speed or reliabilty. I do have a private network dedicated to my backups so I specify which IP to use for the client.

If the box is not solid you will not pickup any new databases and your job will fail if they any are deleted.

Thanks Ekmino,

I have to ask: You say you have tested BACKUPS using the agent method. Have you tested RESTORES from the agent as well?

Thanks!

I have not tested restores of SQL differential backups, but fulls work fine. I would strongly suggest testing it out so you are familiar with the process. This way, in a pinch, you'll already be versed in what to do.

Jabus,

Thanks. Just to be sure before I run with this; I want to clarify that we are both talking about the same agent. Of course I am using the SQL agent to back up the SQL databases, but my origonal question was with regard to using the ARcserve client agent to back up SQL databases as opposed to using the Network. Is that what you were referring to also? I don't think I posed the question that specifically and I wanted to make sure. Thanks for your patience.

If the tape drive is not located on the source SQL server, then it should have the NT/2000 client agent and the SQL Server Agent installed. Then, when defining the backup, use the Client Agent instead of Network to back it up. That is the preferred method.

When you so a restore of a SQL DB you will have to do it through the network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back