Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve and Mcafee conflicts

Status
Not open for further replies.

wnterhawk

MIS
Nov 13, 2001
US
We are running Arcserve 2000 and Mcafee 4.5 on novell 4 servers. The servers seem to have issues with this combination. From our point of view Mcafee is causing Arcserve to run longer and some nlm's are not running. Does anyone have any suggestions on solutions to this problem.
We also have the combination of Arcserve and Mcafee on NT 4 servers with no adverse effect.

Ok, ensure that McAfee is only scanning writes and not reads. Arcserve reads the files, therefore if McAfee is configured for reads, it will slow the backup down. Providing you do a weekly scan, you should be sure that existing data on the server does not have virus's, thus no need for scanning reads.

If the Innoculan setting is on Arcserve 2000, ensure that your backup job does not have this configured (I know in Arcserve 7, Inocculan is ticked as default in the options menu). -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Winterhawk
I run Norton AV and during my backup I stop the Norton AV using a net stop command prior to the backup and then run a net start when the backup is finished. This made a great improvment to my backup speeds.

We have Arserve 6.61 and installed recently McAfee, since that Arcserve is very slow

bliscano - see my first post and check your settings -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

I have a similar issue except the Arcserve/Mcafee combination causes the Novell server to abend and reboot.

Had exactly the same problem.

For Novell use the pre/post option to unload MaCfee Netshield before the backup starts and to reload after it finishes, you need to ensure the backup id has admin rights though. This resolved the issue there.

The abend issue is probably memory - keep an eye on the utilisation and the Dirty Cache buffers.

Hi Telboy, If you don't mind me asking, how did you get the pre/post job to shut down mcafee on the server? I didn't know there was a way to do it without going to the console and typing "unload netshld"...

Go to Global Options and there you'll have a pre-post tab.
In the pre text box type the command you want ARCserve to initiate so that your program will unload netshield. (Type this as you would do so at the console prompt) In the post text box type in the command you want ARCserve to initiate so that your program will load netshield eg load netshld.
Note: You can also set time out values to delay the loading unloading process

Running Arcserve on windows back office.Getting an error message from Mcafee
A thread process D:\program files\network associates\netshield 2000\mcshield exe took longer than 3000 ms to complete a request
The process will be terminiated Thread id 310(0x18)
Thread address ox77f677df
Build peb 13 2000 1457.40/3.32
Object being scaned
Device\harddisk0\partition2\BAOE\DDM\E1299FADDD:mad:24004
{10006 10010 24001 10306 }
Option is then to close . previous . next . help
Click on close and away you go.The backup works so does the virus scan but this message comes up every day.
Can anyone help
Thanks

Did you talk to McAfee?

On my NT environment I was told to run pre and post scripts to stop the real time scan for the backup to run. It is not an backup issue. You need to address on the virus scanning like TherLocker suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back