Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve 9 backup agent for exchange, loads of AT#xxxx.xxxx files??

Status
Not open for further replies.

abbobast

MIS
Feb 24, 2002
GB
Hi, we have a Windows 2000 SP4 Server running Exchange 2003 SP2. This server has the Brightstor Arcserve Backup agent for Exchange installed. I have discovered 265,000+ files of the format AT#xxxx.xxxx where x is a random digit, eg AT#1234.2345. These files vary in size from 1k to 100k+.

Can I safely erase these files with no adverse affects, also how do I prevent them from returning. This problem only seems to have happened shortly after we upgraded our Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003.

Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Paul.

Just by way of an update - this is only happening when brick level backups are done, IS backups are fine.

check for this registry setting

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ ComputerAssociates \ BrightStor ARCserve Backup \ DSAgent \ CurrentVersion \ agent \ dbaxchg2

Value name: Debug
Data type: REG_DWORD
Data: 1

0 to disable debug logging

Hi,

From what you have mentioned, i can understand that you are running a brick level(mailbox) backup of exchange.

The Brick level backup strips the attachments off of the email when the email is being backed up and puts it in the location. Once the Email body is backed up it references back to this location to backup the attachment that was on that email.

the ATT #### .. are the reference numbers...
You coulde safely delete all these files..

Please ensure that you exclude this directory from the AV scan.

So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

Great stuff, thanks for the replies.

I went ahead and deleted all 327,000 !! of these files. I noticed that these files aren't generated EVERY time a brick level backup takes place, only 9 times in last 4 months (we run a brick level every Tues & Thurs), but these 9 times produced 327,000 files. Strange eh?

How can I stop these files from being generated in the 1st place?

Thanks again.

Paul.

Paul...

this is a hard wired feature of the brick level backup..

So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

Thanks Speshalyst.

Funny thing is we've been running brick level backups for years now without the appearance of these files. It seems to be only since we upgraded our Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003 SP2. Does this cast any more light?

Thanks for your replies by the way, all very much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back