Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve 7 manger problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GGUadmin

Technical User
Feb 8, 2002
US
I just resently installed Arcserve 7 for Netware on an Dell 2450 running Novell 5.1 NDS 8.52. Take in mind that this server resides at a regional location (Sacramento,ca)connected via frame relay @ 1.54 kbps, and is on it's own network (10.17.x.x). My home office is in SF where I intend to do administration, and my management PC resides on another network (10.7.x.x) After installing the manager on my PC, I receive an error [servername]: could not Locate or detect ArcServe Serve. For IP protocol, please check:

IP & host name is in your HOsts file - enter that info in my host file on my PC as well as the server - CHECKED.

Arcserve is loaded and running on the machine - CHECKED

This is the correct spelling of the machine & that it is Netware - CHECKED.

I can ping the server, I can also map a drive....
Addition to this, I have created a rule on my firewall to allow ANY traffic to and from the server sitting in SAC to my workstation in SF. I don't think i left anything out, but if I did just ask. Hopefully ya'll can help me out. Oh...everything worked fine when we were using Arcserve6.6

Stressed,
GGUadmin

I am having this exact problem. I can ping the server and it can ping me. We have only been able to get the manager to install properly on my bosses computer. I have tried 3 different computers and have had no luck. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately connecting via IPX is not an option at this point. We are running a purely IP environment. I am trying to run the manager on a Windows 2000 service pack 2. We have the 4.81 client installed. I have updated all of our Novell server with the recent Winsock patch from Novell. I am at a loss. I am currently on hold with CA but so far they have been unable to come up a solution. I'll keep everyone posted on the solution if one ever materializes.

Have you added the server name and IP address into the LMHOSTS.SAM file as well as HOSTS?

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

I have had similar problems with the new manager until I added all of my server names and ip addresses to the lmhosts.sam file and the hosts file on my workstation. Suddenly I can see all of the servers in our WAN. I am running an XP Pro. workstation. I do have IPX.

So, it worked for me.

ZR

When you installed the server did you have any problems with it abending when loading catirpc, if so you may have changed the port number it uses to 200 in the asconfig.ini file. If you have done this you need to change the port number your manager PC uses by adding the following lines to the services file of your PC found in winnt\system32\drivers\etc:
arcserve 200/TCP
arcserve 200/UDP

You then need to add teh following registry key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ComputerAssociates\ARCserveIT\Base\AlternateRPCPorts]
"DefaultPortNumber"=dword:000000c8

Obviously this is only if you altered the port number used due to the abend problem mentioned in:
If not you could try adding the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ComputerAssociates\ArcServeIT\Base\ASMgr\ServerAddIn
Within this key you need to create a new Dword value with the same name as the server you want to control and give it a decimal value of 2.

See what it does, I`ve had loads of similar problems in the past but have managed to get it going eventually.
Also when you say you can ping the server you need to make sure you can ping by its name only, not the full domain name, i.e. your hosts file must be server name only not servername.domain.etc.etc

What people are saying about adding host names to the hosts file is CORRECT. You must do this. So get that out of the way first and give it a try. The next step would be firewall related. I'm not sure which ports are required for the manager, but if you want to back up a server behind a firewall (like from another network segment), you need to have the following ports open to the host doing the backup.

Arcserve ports needed to communicate with client agents. Must be open for communication to work if the firewall blocks the route.

TCP: 6050, 6051, 6055, 6060, 6061, 6070

UDP: 41523, 41524

OK. I have tried adding entries to both the hosts file on the workstation and the hosts file on the server. I have also tried the LMHosts.sam but to no avail. I am not trying to connect via a router so ports shouldn't be an issue. However, I have tried changing the ports that arcserve uses and then add entries to the workstation but that hasn't worked either. I am currently waiting on another call back from arcserve but I am not at all hopefull since I have been working with them on this issue for a couple of weeks now. This software sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back