Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve 6 requires reboot on Novell 5.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NovellJim

IS-IT--Management
May 23, 2001
US
Help!! I am running Novell 5.1, spack 2a and arcserve 6 for Netware. After I run a job, wether it be a backup or a restore or whatever, I need to reboot the server in order for Arcserve to run another job! This is not happening on any other servers, just this one. I have called the tech support and no answers. I am turing to my fellow techies to see if this is happening anywhere else. Please respond - I am desperate here. Thanks.

NovellJim -

I'm running 5.1 SBE sp2 - ARCServeIT 6 - when I originally set this up, I also installed an "OpenAgent" or something like that. It's goal was to back up all our GroupWise open files, etc. No matter what settings were changed, CAI, local consultants and myself were stuck.
Everytime we would boot - multiple errors-Abends/Abstarts (if there is such a thing).

Our only resolve was to uninstall the OpenAgent - and get our money back. After the OpenAgent uninstall, ARCServe loaded fine. Well, never mind the fine. . . it just loaded. :)

Just outta curiousity, have you tried editing your Startup/Autoexec.ncf and move astart6 to the very last line? I have seen this work before when it's loading too early. The timing starts bumping into btrieve, and other NLMs. Simply moving to the last item to load fixed it.

Good Luck ~

Thanks very much for the reply! I did not put the astart6 command in the Autoexec.ncf file. Also, I do not have any open agents running. And I do not have any errors on startup. (i.e. no abends, or anything). So, to clarify, when any job is performed in Arcserve, unless the server is rebooted, it will not perform the next job. For example: Say I just rebooted the server. Arcserve is brand new, and is waiting for a job to be submitted, say the next backup routine which will not begin until that night. If I were to have a restore request, which happens all the time, I can go ahead and perform that request with no errors. However, if I were to not reboot the server, when the nightly backup request were to come across, the Arcserve program will not perform the operation. For some reason it stalls and says "Waiting for operation to finish" or something to that effect, and it is doing nothing. So, when I restart the server, and Arcserve is back to being brand new, everything works great.

FYI:

Arcserve version: 6.6
Netware version: 5.1 sp2a
Autoloader: Adic FastStor DLT (22 tape capacity)
Server: Compac Proliant

Feel free to forward this email to whoever you think might be able to help. At this point, I am not going to be picky as to who helps me out. :)

Thanks again,

NovellJim

It sounds like ARCserveIT is waiting for that initial job to acknowledge that it is complete. Possibly since the Tape device isn't on the compatability listing, the tape device can't send the "all clear" sign to the software????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back