Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve 6.6 restore-Oh where, Oh where have my files all gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

James2210

Technical User
Sep 6, 2001
GB
Netware 5.1 SP5
Arcswerve 6.6 SP2000.1
Quantum DLT8000

We've got a problem that seems to be affecting an increasing number of our backup servers. We can no longer see any of the folders or files beneath the volumes, they don't expand, they are not there-where have they gone? The little blue arrow turns round slightly as if it is going to expand, but then......SNAP, back it goes again.

It started off on one server a few weeks ago, but now about 5 are affected. The only way we've been able to restore is by submitting jobs directly from the server console with filters.

It's driving us nuts. We've repaired the databases, merged tapes, merged tapes again, restored databases, taken the box Arcswerve came in round the back and given it a good kicking and still no joy. Do we have to delete the databases and start again?

Any help greatly appreciated.

James

PS. What would life be like if Computer Associates made things like aeroplanes and dishwashers. I think that there would be a plane crash (if they could take off in the first place) everyday and you'd probably come home to a house full of water.

Sorry if I'm a bit negative, but I've been "playing" with arcserve for too long. I've even developed a twitchy eye like the chief inspector in the Pink Panther films!

hi
we have a similar problem so any one finds a solution let us know

The only way we can restore is through the filtered options

Decided to say to hell with it and scrub the database on one of the servers.

Here's what I did....

1-Unload Arcserve
2-Never load it up again....just kidding :cool:
2-Rename the SYS:SYSTEM\MDKE\LOG folder to LOG.OLD
3-Create a new empty SYS:SYSTEM\MDKE\LOG folder
4-Rename the Arcswerve database folder to DATABASE.OLD
5-Make a new folder called DATABASE with a subfolder called DBSCAN
6-Copy everything from the EMPTYDB folder to the new DATABASE folder
7-Roll up my right trouser leg and do funny handshake with Steve who's sat next to me
8-Reboot the server
9-Merge a tape into the database

Somewhat drastic but it seems to have worked. Only trouble is that any tape we want to restore from will obviously have to be merged before it is restored from.

I just love Arcswerve, it's great. We're trialling Tivoli on one of our servers at the moment. I'll be sooooo sad to see Arcswerve go (NOT).

Good luck

Arcswerve, the only software which has the ability to turn a brand new Ultrium tape drive into something that is less reliable than punched cards or paper tape!

;-) ;-) ;-) (twitching eye)

Most likely you have duplicate tape entries in your database, and that is why you do not see your info when merging the tapes. Please check that the Tape Name, Sequence Number and Random ID triplet of the tape you are looking at is not duplicated. If it is, delete one of those instances (the one without info underneath it)
cheers
TP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back