Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve 6.0 on Netware 4.11 Dell VS122T

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjrowan

Technical User
Aug 3, 2001
US
I have a Novell 4.11 server which has been backing up my linux files daily for 11 years. I have an Exabyte EXB-210 which uses 8mm tapes. I've gone through 4 of the EXB-210 robots in 11 years and I'm starting to have problems with this one. Also, full backups with the Exabyte unit take 9 tapes and run for 32 hours. I picked up a Dell VS122T which uses DLT IV tapes. They're rated at 40 gig uncompressed, 80 gig compressed so I should get a full backup on a single tape. My problem is Arcserve 6.0 sees the VS122T but says it's offline. I can manually load a tape using the buttons on the front of the tape robot but can't get Arcserve to load tapes for me. I know the robotics work because I had it connected to my Linux server and I could script it loading / unloading tapes and writing to the tape once it's been loaded. When I manually load a tape Arcserve sees it and can write to it in test mode but I can't define a group with this changer. Any time I try to define a group, Arcserve unloads / loads the changer and says the config file is incomplete though I can't see what's wrong with it.

Does anyone know how to get Arcserve 6.0 on Netware 4.11 to work with a Dell Powervault VS122T?

this is a so called DLT VS80 autoloader. I tried to find some information on ARCServe 6.0 but couldn't find it anymore. When I started with ARCServe it was the notorious version 7.0. At that time VS80 tape drives just came on the market (using DLTIV tape cartridges at half the speed of DLT8000 drives) and it was supported but very hard to configure. I don't think ARCserve 6.0 for NetWare supports this type of tape drive.

regards

The SCSI ID’s are probably wrong in tapesvr.cfg so the changer.nlm is not loaded. It probably has the IDs for the old library and needs to be corrected to match the new settings.

run a LIST STORAGE ADAPTERS at the server console to ck the settings at the server end.

The tapesvr.cfg has the correct SCSI IDs.

I have both the EXB-210 and the Dell Powervault 122T on the same Adaptec 3940 add-in card.

When the server goes through power on self test the Adaptec 3940 displays the IDs of both the EXB-210 and Powervault 122T, they match the tapesvr.cfg.

I used the Arcserve client software, device manager, to configure and it sees the correct SCSI IDs. The 122T is set for ID 5 and the changer is LUN 1 on ID 5 (or 5.1 as Arcserve sees it). When the tapesvr.cfg is rewritten it doesn't assign a SCSILIST # to the Powervault, I have to add that via notepad.

I watched Arcserve load and it said Tape Changer not supported by this version, ... Group DELL122T not loaded.

Isn't there some similar DLT changer that is supported by Arcserve 6 that I could fool it with or is there a file with a list of supported devices I could edit to add the Powervault 122T?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back