Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

arcserve 2000/netware client

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi

Since updating arcserve 2000 to servicpack 4 we are not able to add new novell clients to a job. We get the errormessage "Failed to logon to agent" when we try to fill in our credentials. Luckely we have a scheduled job with all our netware clients added en that works. We are also able to change the sellections.

We are using Arcserve 2000 and the latest Arcserve netware agent, downloaded from support.ca.com. We had no problem after updating the netware agent. The problem started after we supplied servicepack 4 voor arcserve 2000 on our nt backupserver.

Has anybody else had this experience or can he/she tell we what to look for?

Thanks in advance.

Greetings

Eva van Goor

I have been able to add Novell clients by connecting using and explicit login name i.e., user.OU.OU.O.
Unfortunately, our restores using the Agent are never successful. I now backup without using the Agent and though it runs at 50% of the speed, I get good backups.

> I have been able to add Novell clients by connecting >using and explicit login name i.e., user.OU.OU.O.

We have done that right. In fact we have not changed the procedure since yesterday morning, when it still worked.
The only thing that has changed since then is the applience of servicepack 4. Ik doubt it that I am the only one.

> Unfortunately, our restores using the Agent are never > successful. I now backup without using the Agent and > though it runs at 50% of the speed, I get good backups.

We use new agent without any problems (expect the logon to agent fault) But I know a coupte of sites that run theirwork backup without agent because of the hassle 0-;.

Eva

> I have been able to add Novell clients by connecting >using and explicit login name i.e., user.OU.OU.O.

We have done that right. In fact we have not changed the procedure since yesterday morning, when it still worked.
The only thing that has changed since then is the applience of servicepack 4. Ik doubt it that I am the only one.

> Unfortunately, our restores using the Agent are never > successful. I now backup without using the Agent and > though it runs at 50% of the speed, I get good backups.

We use new agent without any problems (expect the logon to agent fault) But I know a coupte of sites that run theirwork backup without agent because of the hassle 0-;.

Eva

I am having the exact same problem. It started right after the SPK4 update.

Mahanes
> I am having the exact same problem. It started right > after the SPK4 update.

Thanks for your reaction.
Could you and other people that have this problem register this problem with CA. That would make it easier to convince them that they have a new bug on their hands

Eva

> Have you all tried the latest NWAGENT install?

> Just a thought.

Yes we did.
Another thing I can add as information is dat we are using ipx as the protocol. The netware servers are 4.11 with servicepack 9.

I was able to do some testing in a tcp environment and that still worked after applying servicepack 4

greetings

Eva

I had the exact same problem and e-mailed CA about it. They claim no one else has had this problem. I had all the Netware Servers setup under Netware Client agents but after installing SP4 I was unable to create any new backups or do any restores. Getting that error "Failed to logon to agent" Luckily I have a management pc that ran arcserve manager and it's able to connect to the servers on that pc through Client Agent. I did have a go around for this problem. I had to install GSNW on my W2k server which arcserve claims you don't need for backing up Netware servers. Drill down the Network go to your Netware network, right click on the server and select use client agent. This is my work around. I'm still unable at this point to use the objects I've created under the client agents.

We have the same problems at one of our customers.
It happened with SP3 and IPX IP is still ok.

I think if you want to use this config (AS2000,IPX,NWAGENT)
you either have to stay at SP2 or you have to use IP
with all the performance drawbacks.

CA seems completely ignorant about this issue because
we dicussed it multiple time with their support
and they kept telling us we were the only one....

I just got an email from ca support, stating that they have escalated this case, since I'm not the only one having this problem.
This is after I emailed them the url of this thread.

I will keep you updated about the devellopement in this case

Eva

What versions of NetWare are we talking about? Are you configuring the agents to use IP or IPX?

If IP, I would recommend that you putthe IP address and host name of the server into the c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\lmhosts.sam file.

I use Arcserve 7 for NetWare and experience a similar error when trying to add agents. The fix from CA was to do the above and this now works. Please note: only works for NetWare 5.0 and 5.1 servers. -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

> What versions of NetWare are we talking about? Are you > configuring the agents to use IP or IPX?

netware 4.11 configered to use ipx

> I use Arcserve 7 for NetWare and experience a similar > error when trying to add agents. The fix from CA was to > do the above and this now works. Please note: only works > for NetWare 5.0 and 5.1 servers.

the backup server is nt4 with arcserve 2000 sp4
the client agent is the latest netware push agent. (the one on support.ca.com)

I just received a patch from ca that worked. This patch replaces a few ddl's and is available from ca of me at evgoor@isit.nl

greetings

Eva van Goor

I just migrated from NetWare 4.11 to NSBS6 and could not get AS2k to backup using the V7.0 NWAgent off the cd. The CAI folks said to download and install Q019337.CAZ. I did, installed it and am getting the NWAGENT to work okay now. Still have slow compares going on, but that is a different issue. Tim Benton
CNE(4&5),MCP
Studying for CNE6 and MCSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back