Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ARCServe 2000 - FSD on W2K3

Status
Not open for further replies.

kandm

MIS
Dec 3, 2003
US
I'm migrating from a W2K/DDS4 setup to a W2K3/LTO2 configuration. On my old W2K system, I have various file system devices for mundane backup jobs. I can't get W2K3 to use the existing shares I has setup as FSD or any new share for that matter. I'm using a Domain Admin account and have set the permissions on both AS2000 and the shares themselves. All I receive is a <No Media in Drive> error.

I've searched these forums and the CA website and have found little.

Anyone using FSD on ARCSserve 2000 with W2K3 Server?

The way I understood the docs was you can't use a W2K/WinXP system AS a file system device (share source). I'm attempting to us a NT4 machine share as the device.

Looks like I may need to rethink our backup options.

Thanks for your help.

OK, AS2000 was never ever supported on Win2003 in any shape or form.

Not that he needs confirmation but vschumpy is right, you need to upgrade. Anyways 11.5 really is much nicer, especially if since you are using FSD. In 11.5 it has full support for disk staging so you can setup the job to automatically move the data to tape.

We have AS2000 Advanced. I'll have to look at how much an upgrade would cost. We also have the Exchange module.

Currently I'm backing up 4-5 servers, Exchange 5.5, all the clients "My Documents" folders, and a few Samba shares.

Is upgrading to 11.5 going to kill me in client licensing?

Licensing is not my thing but yes I think you are correct they are going to nail you on client licensing because if I got it correct ARCserve 2000 was open as per # of clients and 11.5 is now per client.

Hi,

I think I have achieved it by doing this:
On the Win 2003 / ArcServe map a network drive connecting to you FSD folder(s). Then configure FSD from Device Configuration. ArcServe will treat it as local drive….
As far as I remember this worked just fine for me….

Regards,

Michael.

This still doesn't mean the software was ever tested or supported on this combination, nor does it mean it will work either, especially once the session between the two machines becomes idle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back