Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve 2000 Brick Level Restore Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIS
Feb 18, 2003
US
Arcserve 2000 SP4 running on Win2K SP2 - backing up a Win2k SP2 server running Exch5.5 SP4, Arcserve Exchange agent is installed, SP4 for Arcserve applied and patch QO22840.

I recently had a corrupted PRIV.EDB and was unable to restore - forgot to check it in the backup [mad]

I have been doing a brick level restore of the entire information store but none of the calendar data or contact email addresses are restoring. I am able to pull the individual raw files off the tape using a different tool and view them with a hex editor, does anyone know of a tool or any way to use the MESSAGE file that is written to the tape by the Arcserve exchange agent to get the calendar information back?

Thanks.

I no longer struggle with the worthless brick level backup of arcserves exchange agent. it never worked, and when i though i had it, it backed it but would not let me restore anything.

i now use OnTrack Power Controls to open and export from a .edb. it will not let you copy and paste, but you can open mailboxes, export individual items, put them into a target .pst, and use that to import into a mailbox. works like a champ.

schmitty

Schmitty I totally agree, my backup scheme has changed completely and I love PowerControls. In addition to an online backup I also do an offline backup nightly as well (only takes 40 minutes and helps ease my mind) and have abandoned the brick-level completely.

This has drastically reduced my backup window too, before it would take 8hrs + to get all the brick level stuff, whereas the IS online would take 34 mins and the offline just over 40.

:)

Ditch the Agent!!!

I did just that and used NTBackup (boo I hear you all cry) but it works!!!! and that is what is important.

I figured that an actual proper backup is better that being able to restore one crappy email that some one has deleted by mistake. And the agent doesnt even backup public folders (why did we buy this cack?)

Let's all get together and have a party!

Come on !!! No Pain No Gain

Ooh yeah, the Agent has been ditched.

Since all my servers are gigabit connected I just stop all the services for 30 minutes and backup all the databases and then restart the services again. I still use Arcserve but have pre and post batch jobs to handle the services. Then I run the Arcserve online backup so all the logs get purged. Backup total time is now just over an hour as opposed to the 16+ before with the brick-level.

If you need anything from a mailbox I have found that Ontrack's PowerConnect allows you to open and retrieve messages from a PRIV.EDB without the need for a server - very cool and works nicely, it even allows you to retrieve messages based on date or file name.

:)

Does anybody know how to solve this issue???
i am getting this message while running ARCServe 2000 w/the ARCServe 2000 exchange backup agent on exchange 5.5. I keep getting this message "e8602 FAILED TO READ FROM DATABASE (DBNAME=Individual Mailboxes\(user mailbox)\(mailbox), EC=BACKUP AGENT ERROR --(69) "Read/Write error in named pipes."). So have you solved the issue yet, if so, what was the solution. Please help.!!

thanks

Have you just recently installed the Exchange agent on your server? If so, you will need to apply patch Q022840, you can find this patch on support.ca.com. You should also apply SP4 for Arcserve 2000 to the exchange and backup servers before you apply this patch to your exchange server.

Let me know...

Yes i did do that...but when i tried running a test full backup of exchange..it seems to be going for the last 2 days..doesn't take that long, don't know why it is going.

any ideas?

Try stopping the Backup Agent RPC Server service on the exchange server and then re-start it and do the backup again. You may also want to make sure that you stop any virus software running on the exchange and backup servers before you start the backup...

Stopping AV services is a very good thing to do. When we run the agent (before we booted it very far away) we had a nightmare with duration of the backup & AV services.

No Pain No Gain

So true - I have scripts that run before my backup jobs that stop all the AV services.

I did stop the AV Services and then i ran a test full backup..this is the one that is been running for the last 2 days,still is, dont' know why.

Have you tried rebooting both the Exch server and the backup server?

I assume that checking all the settings for the Exch agent relative to impersonation account, domain, user etc... are all OK?

Are you doing a store backup as well as a brick-level? If so what kind of speed are you getting on the IS backup?

Did you verify that the correct version displays on the backup server in HELP . ABOUT (Version 7 - Build 1100), perhaps the SP or patches didn't apply correctly.

Worst case try removing all CA products from the Exch server and then re-installing the agent, applying SP4 and then the patch Q022840.

i have had your exact problem but it's so long since we used this software...

have you uninstalled and reinstalled the agent?

also, depending on what AV you use, some stuff like McAfee starts itself back up again... is the job still working ok? can you see any activity?

No Pain No Gain

No i haven't rebooted the exchange server, was thinking of doing that tonight..after that i will try an incremental backup instead of a full..If that goes through, tomorrow is full backup anyway. Right now the backup is still going, i think i will have to stop it..

All settings of the a/c are fine, it authenticates.

Yes a store backup as well as brick level.

I am running ARCserve 2000 AE Ver. 7.0 Build 1100

I did remove all products before then reinstalled, maybe before the reboot i can uninstall and when it comes up i can install just the backup agent.

I really do appreciate your help..Any other suggestions?

try putting both arcserve and the agent into debug mode.

this is a reg hack, not sure what it is though, 30362 may know?

i don't think an inc. backup will help you out. you'll prob get same

just found this, i know it says BrightStor but i am confident these reg keys exist in v7 No Pain No Gain

Hi All,

I have an interesting problem with Arcserve 6.61 for Exchange restores(i know i know i should expect that from Arcserve)
I am running NT4.0 SP6 Exchange5.5 SP4 and Arcserve6.61
i normally run a complete back up for information store, brick level and registry every day.
Now the problem is that for last couple of day when i back up, it goes through fine and gives me all the right info.(size of the information store, transaction logs etc) but when i try to restore a mailbox from the back up it restores only ten or so emails and they are from last yr.
Also as the restore is running i get a msg saying "MAPI 1.0 (000004c7) Please enable all your email services" or something like that.
Any idea's/suggetions......???

must admit, i've not seen this error before.

do you enable full logging for backup of the exchange private store?

try checking the logs to make sure it is backing up current items from the mailbox.

the message makes it sound like a problem with the MAPI profile you have on the pc, what version of outlook do you use on the server or do you use just the exchange agent?

what is your exchange org like? more than one exchg server?

multiple sites?

do you replicate & have you moved any mailboxes between servers?

No Pain No Gain

Hey Varuna,

I have checked the logs on both the arcserve and NT.
Arcserve log tells me that i have the right amount of private store backed up(chked it manually from the share on the server) and all the transaction logs are backed up as well.
We do have multiple sites but we do not use the other site for mailboxes any more and nothing has been moved. The strange thing is that wheni go to restore the stuff from the DLT backup i can see the whole session and it tell's me that everything is there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back