Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve 2000 and Lotus Notes Open File Agent 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 28, 2001
IE
Arcserve 2000 with Lotus Notes Open File Agent is causing
the server to crash

I have a dedicated Lotus Notes server and, until recently, it was very stable.
Since I installed Arcserve 2000 with Lotus Notes Open File Agent, the whole server is unstable. It crashed or hung about once a week. Before a crash/hang the CPU% used in Task Manager would be 90%-99%

Stopping any Norton Anti Viurs scans did not solve the problem. Installing Arcserve patches did not help.
Since I uninstalled Arcserve, it is stable.

Details:
Windows NT 4.0 (Service Pack 5)
Lotus Notes 4.6.6
Arcserve 2000 with Lotus Notes Open file agent
Arcserve Patches installed: L08275, L085115, L089345
Other software: Norton Anti Virus 4

I know of another company who is having the same problem. They have Lotus Notes 5 and a newer version Of Norton Anti Virus.

Thanks

Donal

Dona,

Glad to see we are not the only ones experiencing this problem,
We recently upgraded our Lotus Notes backup agents to Arcserve 2000 and now the server is crashing, the symptoms are the same as you detailed.

Can you please tell me if you have found a resolution for this problem

Regards
Barry Keizer
Bkeizer@oaot.com

give me your configuration for this server (all software)
if you pcanywhere on this server, you want stop the service for the backup.

i wait the configuration.

Here are my configurations

Hardware:
IBM Netfinity 4500R Server PIII 733 784 MB RAM
3 18.2 GB Hard Drives 10K Ultra160
ServeRaid 4M 64 MB Read/Write RAID Controller
2 733Mhz Processor
Netfinity 3-Pack Ultra160 Hot Swap Exp
Windows 2000 Server
250 Hot Plug Power Supply

Software:
Version Windows 2000
Service Pack 2
Lotus Domino International 5.0.7
ARCserve 2000 Client Agent for Windows NT/2000 Admin Version 7.0 Build 1037
ARCserve 2000 Workgroup/Advanced Edition Backup Agent for Lotus Notes Server 7.0

Symptoms
Servers System Log reports Exception 0XC0000005 occurred in function MCBCTM_IoctlProcessor.
Server application log reports Process dbasvr.exe (728) using 99% percent of the processor for the last 00:30:11
Server crashes

Barry K
Bkeizer@oaot.com
s-)

Here are the details:

Hardware:
IBM Netfinity 5000 Server 256 MB RAM
Purchases November 98
3 18.2 GB Hard Drives with RAID Controller
Free space= 1Gb

Software:
Lotus Notes 4.6.6
Arcserve 2000 Advanced Edition with Lotus Notes Open file agent
Arcserve Patches installed: L08275, L085115, L089345

Software
Lotus Notes 4.6.6
Currently Arcserve 2000 with Lotus Notes Open file agent is completly uninstalled and there are no problems. Only this uninstallation solved the problem. Stopping any anti virus runs did not help.
Arcserve Patches installed: L08275, L085115, L089345 (No effect)
PCAnywhere is not installed

Symptoms
Task Manager would report using 90-99% percent of the processor for a few hours and then crash. Notesctl was one program that did this.

Other Background
We have had the server running since December 1998. It only started to become unstable when we installed Arcserve 2000 Advanced Edition and the Open file agent.

I'll be grateful for any help

Donal

Donal,

Did stop Norton anti virus and its services PRIOR to install Arcsev 2000 and its backup agents?

Same problem all over the world. I work in Paris and use Domino 5.0 with Arcserve 2000 and my two notes server don't crash but the DBASRV process goes to 100% and hangs there. If it's any help, my third server on an away site works fine and the only reason I can see to explain it is that my DLT, Arcserve and Domino are all installed on the same server. As for the other two, tried to backup tree times in a row restarting my Domino server before each attempt without sucess. Set Alerter and ASDiscoverySVC services to manual, restarted server and the backup went without a itch. I've set the one server with Alerter service off, the other with ASDiscoverySVC off and will watch them for a few days. I'll report my findings then. Good luck to you all.

Marc Barrette

Dolphine

No.
I did not stop Norton Anti Virus and its services prior to installing Arcserve 2000 and its backup agents.

I stopped Norton Anti Virus and its services AFTER installing Arcserve 2000 and its backup agents.
This did not fix the problem.

Sorry about the delay. I was on holidays.

Donal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back