Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve 2000 and Brightstore Arcserve v9 Differences 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

taneujin

MIS
Aug 14, 2001
SG
Hi,I see 2 very similar products on the CA website and would like to know the significant differences between these 2 products. Can anyone help me on this?
(Apart from v9 being a newer software than 2000)

We have both in-house. I see very little difference between the two versions EXCEPT, in the new version, Arcserve 9:

1) you are able to choose which NIC to use on multihomed servers.

this is ok, but you were able to do this on previous versions from the client agent side (choose the IP address of the NIC you want to backup over)

2) you can backup to CDR or DVD with Arcserve 9

3) There is now a SCHEDULER utility within the product, but it is similar to Task Scheduler in Windows. I guess this is good for performing things like dbcheck or tapecopy on a schedule.

4) the GUI is green (WOW!)

try the demo before plunking down the cash!!!

Carpe diem, procrastination is the thief of time...

Actually a lot of work has gone into improving the overall performance including Disaster Recovery, Exchange, SQL, Lotus and NT agents, support for XP, and 2003, support for Terminal Services etc.
In addition the Job Manager is much improved allowing for log sorting and better management.
hope this helps
TP

TudorP,

Excuse me for saying this, but it sounds like you work for CA. Exactly how would YOU know that "a lot of work has gone into improving the overall performance..."????

Of course, ANY vendor will want to make their products compatible with all the latest Microsoft OS's. It makes logical business sense ($$$$). Again, I have used the new version, and don't see much difference between Arcserve 2000 and "Brightstor" v9. Then again, I don't need to use all the features like some other organizations may have to.

mcse924 & TudorP

Your probably both right

Ca have totally re scripted the engines in the V9 version, (from hoarse's mouth) a pet technician we have in CA said they started again with the engines.

And most of the bugs have gone. To be replaced by new ones im sure.

The only reason i know this is we are planning to replace 200 backup servers and wanted to know needle to thread.

Unfortunatley CA wont tell us the bad bits so if any one has the draw backs of V9 could you let me know we backup
Oracle, SQL, Notes, and Exchange so any info on the bad stuff would be useful.

yep hence looking at the v9 option
but thanks for the info davidmichel

You mean CA actually "supported" Arcserve 2000 at one time? You could have fooled me!!!

Support and CA are mutually exclusive.

Anyway I upgraded from 2000 to 9. Make sure your hardware drivers and firmware are up to date. I am getting about 1/3 better performance through NT/2000 client agents BUT the CPU Utilization on the box being backed up is MUCH Higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back