Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve 2000 Advanced on DL380 with DLT8000 DLT drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigwhistler

IS-IT--Management
Sep 20, 2001
GB
Having a very strange problem on two identical boxes. Both servers running Arcserve 2000 Advanced on fully patched Windows 2000 box (SP2 and hotfixes). I have patched arcserve on both boxes and the new devices update, though i have seen the same behaviour on these boxes with and without both windows 2000 and arcserve patches.
here's my problem .....
Arcserve will not start a backup job even if the all the engines are running. If I create a job then stop and restart the engines, then the backup starts - however to get any updates in the activity log - i have to exit arcserve and restart it to see differences in READY-ACTIVE-DONE - it doesn't update on the screen. The jobs do backup and can be restored but for some reason provide no feedback and need to have the services stopped and started before the job starts - timed backups do not work either.
I have tried both the latest compaq driver from their website and the softpaq update, and the microsoft dlt driver from windows 2000.
Has anyone come across this problem before? it seems to be related to the DLT's in that they need prompting - is there any way I can debug this? I don't get any indication in event viewer or the activity log that there is a problem :(

Thanks

Pigwhistler

Start, programs, Arcserve, Arcserve server admin, tape engine, DEBUG OUTPUT - TO SCREEN AND FILE.
Stop tape engine
Restart tape engine.
Mail the tape.log to me after you zip it.
Jim P. Ames
jimpames@hotmail.com

In addition to debugging; try unloading the DLT drivers. I have installed AS2000 AE a few times with a Compaq DLT 35/70 and SDLT 110/220 and have not loaded a tape drive driver, with any Arcserve products.

I do recall having to load a driver with Veritas Backup Exec, but not with any version of CA's Arcserve.

Hope this helps

I've experienced some funky behaior with ArcServe 2000 AE.

use regedt32--> hkey_local_machine on local machine
Software-->ComputerAssociates-->ArcServeIT-->Base-->TapeEngine
Delete all the entries under tapeEngine and rerun the Arcserve Device Configuration to setup the drives/library.

Does anyone know how to make Archserve manage 2 libraries on the same server?

Francis_Turner@amr-ems.com

This sounds like the kind of behaviour you get when administering Arcserve manager through a Windows 2000 Terminal Services session.

You dont say which Arcserve service pack you are using. You need SP4 to fix the Terminal Service problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back