Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve 11.5 SP3 [Windows] Approching 128 FSD limitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mttocs

IS-IT--Management
May 31, 2007
US
I currently backup 11 Production servers which are a combination of Win2k Server, Netware 4.x, 5.x, 6, and 6.5 (all with the latest service packs and latest tuned agent). The central backup server is running on Win2k server and has Arcserve 11.5 SP3 build 4402. All of the servers are backed up to File System Devices (Raid 5 + spare high speed SATA drives) and then exported to a NAS and kept offsite.

All backups currently work correctly, but I am approaching the 128 FSD limitation specified by CA support. Each backup uses at a minimum 7 FSD's with incremental rotation M-S and Full on Sun. Our main corporate server uses 29 FSDs (27 daily, 1 weekly, 1 monthly in a GFS rotation).

I have been trying to get a weeks worth of backup to append to one FSD thus saving 6 FSD allocations per 'weekly backup server'. I think this should be simple, but everytime I try and accomplish this small feat, I end up with the media overwritten with the latest incremental instead of the append which I have specified in the Job options. I have tried every media pool retention technique that I can think of, but still the same results. Note that if I run multiple backups in one 24-hour period, that the append does work as I would like it to. Also note, that I must use 6 daily incrementals and 1 full backup, not 7 full backups due to bandwidth restrictions.

I have never gone over the 128 bit limitation either, so if somebody has experienced this and has been able to get over this limitation then that would solve the issue as well.

Any suggestions?

Have not tested it but heard the limitation was increased to 256.

Thanks davidmichel,

That gives some hope; I will create some future FSDs over 128 and see if I run into any issues and repost.

Do you know if this was an increase in SP3? I cannot seem to find anything in the documentation / change log that says anything about this increase.

Can you tell me where to download SP3 for BAB 11.5? Pls send the link if possible
Thanks

Malas,

I didn't find any PM option on this forum to send this directly to you, so - Here is the link to the Arcserve 11.5 download page (For Windows):

You are looking for: QO86307
Take note of the Languages that are printed on your original install CD so that you download the correct one. Also take note that the service pack is about 580MB (zipped).

The typical SP3 install procedure would be to download the appropriate ISO, burn it to CD, and run the upgrade from that.
There are four separate CDs, each encompasing a different set of international languages.
Please note that the English version is on each of the CDs, so you can choose any one of the ISO images.
The Chineese/Japanees/English version (CD4) is the smallest at around 468 MB. That's what I chose to minimize the download time.

-Wayne

Update
I was in fact able to go over the 128 FSD limitation as davidmichel stated. Everything is still running smoothly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back