Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve 11.5 SP3 build 4402 - Disaster Recovery Hangs on Win2k Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

mttocs

IS-IT--Management
May 31, 2007
US
I'm kind of stumped on this one:

I have approx. 10 Windows 2000 Servers that I backup through Arcserve 11.5 w/DR option and universal windows agents (all updated). The backups are dynamic and all of the disaster recovery information is saved properly to an alternate NAS location. I have created the boot kit and followed all the instructions provided in the DR manual.

Everything works except the crucial part of restoring with the disaster recovery kit. I decided to test out the process on an identical server (Everything is exactly identical down to the manufacturer of the scsi disks)

Here is what happens:
1. Place Windows 2000 boot cd that was created in the bootkit process which boots fine and starts the process after I place the machine specific disk in.
2. Press F6 and load the Perc drivers for the PowerEdge 2500 system.
3. All of the partions are autogenerated correctly and all the system files are copied.
4. Machine reboots.
5. Disaster Recovery Wizard Starts and then reboots.
6. The NICs (2 of them) are installed then reboots. (I have tried pulling the 2nd NIC as well with the same results)
7. This is where it stops, it just sits at the wizard screen with the little icon like its doing something, but nothing ever happens - no wizard actually comes up where I can access the arcserve backup server.

I did find that I can double click over to the left and get the boot.ini file up, but I do not see how that is going to help me.

Does anyone know why the Disaster Recovery Wizard would just hang there and never proceed to the actual recovery?

One other question, does the machine I'm recovering automatically try and login to the backup server; meaning does it actually assign the IP address to the machine from the machine specific disk and then go directly to the backup server before user interaction? If this is the case, then I know what the problem most likely is.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Hi , I have been having the same problem. The DR wizard got to the bit where it was looking for the backup server and hung. We found out that the windows 2003 ASR seems to put some sort of default ip address in as part of the recovery.If you do control,shift double mouse click over the image on left you get a command line option. From here we used netsh to set the correct ip address and gateway. The wizard then picked up the backup server and off we went. Hope this works for you

That's exactly what I've been looking for; I will try to replicate this in my test environment and post back if I have any troubles. If I do not post back in the next week, then that means all is working well.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back