Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ArcServe 11.5 - slow throughput backing up data from Server 2008 SR2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmcit

IS-IT--Management
Jun 20, 2011
GB
My first post, a warm welcome from the UK!

Until finances allow we are cuurently using a previously purchased copy of ArcServe 11.5. I appriciate that this is an old product and we have no support contract, but hoping somebody may be able to shine a little light on an issue we are currently experiencing.

I run a daily job which backs up data from half a dozen different machines on our network. Data throughput has never been amazing, backups used to take roughly 10 hours, but this has gradually increased as we have moved the data from a NAS box running Unix to our new all singing and dancing Virtually file server running Server 2008 SR2.

Backup jobs now take 20 hours to backup 730GB data. The biggest culprit is the new file server, when data from this machine is backuped throughput has dropped to less than 400MB/Min. Throughut on the Unix NAS and other Windows servers running 2003 are around 1GB/Min.

AV is not loaded on the machine running ArcServe.

Thanks in advance

Install the latest HBA driver and firmware at the W2K8 system
and update storport.sys SP4 for 11.5

modify the job to use Multiplex (destination tab).
modify the Job Engine buffers (Server Admin, Config, Job E tab).
for both you have to use trial and error to find the best value.

ck to see if there is a AV app scanning outgoing files at the target volumes.

these are just very general type suggestions, real throughput troubleshooting takes a lot of effort. Most of the time the problem is caused by a number of different things. Make only one change at a time. Use the Job Log to keep a record of the throughput for each session.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back